The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
22,000 miles. Car is mechanically stock. Never had any issues, am original owner.

Last two months, been having this weird issue with the clutch. There is NO driveability problem, and clutch functions same as it did new from factory.

If the car is parked turned of:
As I depress the clutch all the way to the floor, it almost feels like clutch pedal moves and makes a "clunk" noise. Noise is mechanical and inside the car (right where the pedal is).

Other way to describe it is if you are wearing sandals, as you depress the clutch all the way down, your feet slips off the clutch. It sounds like metal pedal hitting metal.

That is the best way I can describe the noise. I had another Forum member drive the car here and he had suggested "master cylinder or the pedal pivot"

Car does the same when turned on and driven.

Just wanting to see if others have had this issue, before dragging car to the mechanic.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
22,000 miles. Car is mechanically stock. Never had any issues, am original owner.

Last two months, been having this weird issue with the clutch. There is NO driveability problem, and clutch functions same as it did new from factory.

If the car is parked turned of:
As I depress the clutch all the way to the floor, it almost feels like clutch pedal moves and makes a "clunk" noise. Noise is mechanical and inside the car (right where the pedal is).

Other way to describe it is if you are wearing sandals, as you depress the clutch all the way down, your feet slips off the clutch. It sounds like metal pedal hitting metal.

That is the best way I can describe the noise. I had another Forum member drive the car here and he had suggested "master cylinder or the pedal pivot"

Car does the same when turned on and driven.

Just wanting to see if others have had this issue, before dragging car to the mechanic.

Thanks!!
There is a stop bolt directly behind the clutch pedal, that usually has a rubber cap on it. This cap tends to fall off or wear down, and your pedal will produce the mechanical click that you hear. One option is to depress the pedal less, as you don't need to depress it fully to engage the clutch. You can also look for that rubber bumper, which is probably rolling around in your car somewhere. Or buy a bigger pumper and use some silicone to secure it. This has been covered in other threads, but it was easier to answer than find a link.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a stop bolt directly behind the clutch pedal, that usually has a rubber cap on it. This cap tends to fall off or wear down, and your pedal will produce the mechanical click that you hear. One option is to depress the pedal less, as you don't need to depress it fully to engage the clutch. You can also look for that rubber bumper, which is probably rolling around in your car somewhere. Or buy a bigger pumper and use some silicone to secure it. This has been covered in other threads, but it was easier to answer than find a link.
THank you so much for the answer. I appreciate your time and help! Glad that it isn't something much bigger.

I will look for the cap. It started doing it after the car returned fro the dealer having the Oil Recall done. I hadn't thought much about it (as I havne't been driving the car much).

I will look around there this weekend and see if I can find it.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Not a problem. I can see how one would assume this might be an expensive fix, just based off of the noise. I'm sure you can get a small bumper from Home Depot or Ace hardware to resolve this.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check it out this weekend and report back :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts