The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having symptoms of a clutch master/slave cylinder. Occasional Soft pedal, sometimes the clutch doesn't return all the way to its normal position, sometimes when I get in the car its halfway to the floor, and occasionally when parked and the clutch pedal fully depressed I cant shift the car. (But I can - when parked - not depress the clutch pedal and shift - why is this?)

My experience tells me its the clutch master/slave cylinder (could be wrong however)

The car shifts fine, and after it warms up these problems seem to go away.

Questions:

1. Is the replacement of the clutch master/slave cylinder covered by warranty or it is a wear and tear item?
2. My car has 15k miles - it seems a little early for this - have others have this issue?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
There is firstly a service bulletin regarding the clutch (http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1749581-post6.html. I would start there.

Secondly there was a problem on some cars built around end 2010/ early 2011 where a bore within the master cylinder was not correct.

In both cases that is covered by the warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Mine was replaced under warranty due to it falling to the floor. There is a service bulitine on the matter. It was a timely replacement because the front clam has to come off.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Has fluid been bled? that is step 1

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has fluid been bled? that is step 1
About a month ago I took a trip to Phoenix (from san diego) - when I returned I had the issue with brake/clutch fluid getting to hot. To fix that they bled the system and insulated the clutch line.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is firstly a service bulletin regarding the clutch (http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1749581-post6.html. I would start there.

Secondly there was a problem on some cars built around end 2010/ early 2011 where a bore within the master cylinder was not correct.

In both cases that is covered by the warranty.

Yes I have had this issue - and it was fixed under warranty. The symptoms I am having now are not like those describe in the TSB -

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Sounds like the scond point I mentioned. The (wrong) bore apparently doesn't allow fluid to flow back into the system when the car cools down, i.e. when parked. So, the pedal slowly falls to the floor. Its still a warranty issue.

The reason you can shift when the engine is off is simply because the gearbox doesn't have to synchronize when the input shaft is not moving.

·
Registered
786 Posts
When I had the boiling fluid problem a couple of months ago (driving in reverse from what Asulil did). The dealer in San Diego suggested insulationg the clutch line and replacing the master cylinder as a precaution, both under warranty. When I went back to Phoenix to have the work done, the dealer in Scottsdale installed the insulation, but said that the master cylinder replacement was not necessary. I haven't had the problem that Asulil described, so I'm good. To the OP, seems like a trip to the dealer to replace the master cylinder might be in order for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts