The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per a prior thread, when the car is heated up I get a very steady squeek that goes away when the clutch pedal is lightly depressed. The shop, per instruction from Lotus, lubed a pivot and it did stop....for about 2 weeks. It has come back, though slightly intermittent.

So I'm wondering...do I just keep driving and see what happens with it, or keep going back and they keep lubing, etc. If it is a throw-out bearing as some believe, what happens when that fails? No clutch, or no ability to use the clutch? The dealership has already "warned" me that it may not be warranty, so I'm not anxious to deal with that again until it is really obvious what the problem is. But I don't want to be stranded either.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
hmmm - my experience with bad throw out bearings is that they rattle / rumble. I've never heard them squeak but i guess its possible (eg wheel bearings can squeak when they're shot). If it stopped when a pivot point was lubed I suspect this is the problem again and not the bearing. I suggest you find out from the dealer what needs to be lubed and if its not too difficult do it yourself. This is probably easier that going to the dealer everytime.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I think if the throwout bearing goes bad you'll be stranded.. If it is the throwout bearing it will progressively become louder.. Lotus covered mine under warranty..

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
choi0706 said:
I think if the throwout bearing goes bad you'll be stranded.. If it is the throwout bearing it will progressively become louder.. Lotus covered mine under warranty..
When yours went, was it a steady squeek, or the more typical rumble rattle sound? Mine is a eep eep eep eep steady squeek kinda sound, rev sensitive and completely goes away with the slightest pressure on the clutch pedal. I hate to have them tear my motor apart if it isn't the bearing, but also do not want to be stranded -eek-

mg

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Mark16q said:
When yours went, was it a steady squeek, or the more typical rumble rattle sound? Mine is a eep eep eep eep steady squeek kinda sound, rev sensitive and completely goes away with the slightest pressure on the clutch pedal. I hate to have them tear my motor apart if it isn't the bearing, but also do not want to be stranded -eek-

mg

mine had the clutch vibration too.. mine sounded like a squeek/tapping sound..

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
choi0706 said:
mine had the clutch vibration too.. mine sounded like a squeek/tapping sound..
Hmmm...no tapping from mine but definite squeek.

Did yours go away with clutch pedal pressure?

mg

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going back to the dealership tomorrow so they can check again. If it is the throwout bearing, what kind of abuses can they blame this on? It would seem that even if I did burnouts etc (which I don't do, and the prior owner swore he didn't either), could any form of abuse cause it to fail at 5 or 6 thousand miles? I can see destroyed clutch plates from abuse, but don't know what could cause failure here other than defective.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Mark16q said:
I'm going back to the dealership tomorrow so they can check again. If it is the throwout bearing, what kind of abuses can they blame this on? It would seem that even if I did burnouts etc (which I don't do, and the prior owner swore he didn't either), could any form of abuse cause it to fail at 5 or 6 thousand miles? I can see destroyed clutch plates from abuse, but don't know what could cause failure here other than defective.

Thanks,

Mark

I dont know about the throwout bearing abuse.. But they probably will look at the flywheel/clutch surface to determine abuse.. Of course the ECU printout will be used as well..

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mine is a eep eep eep eep steady squeek kinda sound, rev sensitive and completely goes away with the slightest pressure on the clutch pedal. I hate to have them tear my motor apart if it isn't the bearing, but also do not want to be stranded -eek-

mg
I just developed the exact same thing as you describe. 8800 miles on the car. Dd you ever get it figured out what the cause was? I had two different mechanics listen to it, and they both didn't think it was the throw out bearing. Not loud enough of a noise, or so they claim, for it to be that.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I have the same issue and believe it to be the clutch fork and its spring vibrating. Lubing the front and back of the clutch fork makes the squeaking go away, for a time at least. If I leave it squeaking, eventually it starts to make a screen door type groaning sound. The dealer made it clear that they didn't want to drop the transmission to fix it permanently, and I eventually got tired of fighting with them over it. I'll have it taken care of when I replace the clutch.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Andykeck,

How hard is it to reach the clutch fork and lube it? I just took a peak, and from above I don't think I can reach it.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Andykeck,

How hard is it to reach the clutch fork and lube it? I just took a peak, and from above I don't think I can reach it.
You have to remove the engine undertray. Access to the slave cylinder, push rod, and external part of the clutch fork is pretty good. Access to the clutch fork pivot and spring is poor to almost non-existent. You can pull the boot free and try to work your fingers into the hole, but it's not easy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 2004 111R has exactly the same noise. It's like a little chirping noise. If I just rest my foot ever so slightly on the clutch it goes away.

It's been doing it well over a year now so I think it's nothing serious... just something probably needs lubing as above.

Mine doesn't do it all the time. Sometimes it is fine. Other times it isn't. Usually it is on cold days that it happens the most.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noisy Clutch

Hi,

I bought an 06 spec 55 plate 111R with 23000 miles on it about a month ago, but over the last week I've noticed a sort of cherping noise. Took a look on your forum and I see that a few other people have described the same problem.

It goes away if I press the clutch pedal very slightly and appears to be more apparent when the engine is warm. It's also rev related. I noticed someone mentioned that it is more noticable in cold weather, which ties in with my problem as the weather has turned much colder over the last week.

It seems the general thought is that it's due to a lack of lubrication on the clutch fork.

I'd be really gratefull if someone could help me by telling me if this problem is serious and how to fix it.

I'm planning to take it to my local dealer in a few days, but I'd like to turn up with a full set of facts so I don't end up wasting time and money.

Thanks,

James.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi

Recently I started to get a faint ticking - chirping sound, seems to be loudest when
listening by the rear left wheel.

Mechanic advised it might be the clutch fork vibrating against something
(didn't quite follow what he was saying.. but somthing like that..)
and probably not serious issue.

Somtimes its like a faint watch ticking - other times more like a cricket chirp.

Only after car is warmed up. Only noticed when at idle in netural.

Intermittent (never seems to happen when I want to demo it to the mechanic.)

Pressing clutch pedal makes it stop or reduces it.

Do you think their could be anything amiss or does it just need some grease?
Is it OK to leave it if its difficult to fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've got s similar screeching/screen door/metallic squeal that happens when the car is warmed up and between 3500 and 5000 RPMs. I've had it to two different dealerships three times, and they can't figure it out. They called lotus and said it's one of the many "normal" noises. :wallbang:

Anyone else experience this in that specific RPM range? I'd love to figure this out

·
Registered
103 Posts
My car has just under 20k miles... it looks like I have joined the squeaky clutch-related noise club... May try lubing the forks (I've got a bit to learn about how exactly to do that)

The only difference between the other descriptions of the issue and mine is that I don't believe the squeak is related to RPMs. I notice it more at idle, but that is because with a stage II, the car is pretty loud. I can hear it faintly when driving slow enough to hear over the exhaust.

Noise seems to be greater at the drivers side rear wheel as some others describe. It has been about 80 degrees here so the cold does not seem to factor in. However, the noise is not heard until the car warms up and even then, it seems to come and go.

Does this seem to be the same as the fork issue and if so, any diagrams or anything for someone such as myself to go by? I would like to avoid having to deal with the dealership if possible.

Any updates from anyone as to what solutions worked or any affects of prolonged squaking without a fix?

Maybe I should use this as a good excuse to upgrade the clutch... I know that is a gaurenteed fix, no? :D

-W

·
Registered
236 Posts
As a follow up, my mechanic greased around the clutch fork area (I'm not sure what exactly) and that seems to have stopped the noise.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts