The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a minor clutch issue that one of you guys may have seen before. The clutch works as normal most of the time, however every now and then the pedal catches me by surprise and is not springing back up the whole way, then when I press it, it is extremely soft and already close to the floor, then before I know it, its normal again. Im guessing it may just need bled out, I did this once already though, but I remember there was something difficult about the whole process. Do the slave and master cyl. cross reference to another vehicle I might be able to get locally?

Also im thinking this is related to another problem I've noticed, upon downshifting it seems often I have to force the shifter into a lower gear, unless the car is going extremely slower than usual I feel. Upshifting seems perfectly fine though.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I had that issue with my Twin Turbo G35. It was heat related and the problem was solved when I went to a braided stainless clutch cable. The stock cable allowed for too much swelling when it got heat soaked...and the clutch would slowly have less and less travel....until the pedal would be on the floor.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The other advice could be right but I suspect clutch hydraulics. Bleeding might not be enough and will only temporarily help. Its likely time to replace the slave and master. I did mine late last year and its like a new car now. I struggled with diagnosis since there was no leak and I was sure it wasnt the clutch itself. Sure enough, we pulled the master and the seals were shot and the unit was very tired. They tend to go at about the same time so replacing both is the way to go, IMO.

As for cross reference, neither part is particularly expensive. There are no cross refs I know of. I used Lotus parts.

Its at least worth looking into.

·
Registered
743 Posts
.....bleeding air is easy - cheap and free why not try it?
nothing to lose -- it will narrow your search to the problem.

I say, one of the two going downhill -- slave - master.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
.....bleeding air is easy - cheap and free why not try it?
nothing to lose -- it will narrow your search to the problem.

I say, one of the two going downhill -- slave - master.
Right - and like I said, if they are both around the same age - replace them both right then and there. I initially just did the slave and it took about a week to determine that I still had an issue. Did the master. Perfect now.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Always do master & slave together. Always. If bleeding fixes it, it will unfix itself soon enough afterward; air is coming in from somewhere.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
If you haven't been flushing the clutch hydraulics and the fluid is thick and dark you probably have "issues" with the master and slave now. You *could* try flushing but that may just cause everything to leak (it will anyway eventually so you haven't really lost much). If flushing and bleeding doesn't fix it then you probably do have a problem with the throwout bearing not moving easily on the input shaft. That will require removal of the transmission and possible clutch replacement. Starting with flushing and bleeding is not expensive and should be done regularly anyway. Do the brakes too. Should be done annually. Yu don;t need any expenive tools to do this and the brake fluid isn't expensive. Use Castrol GTLMA DOT 4. Get a big bottle.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the SS clutch line already, I did my brakes in the past, they seem fine. Im gonna try bleeding the clutch again this weekend, there was something difficult about doing it in the past, I cant put my finger on what it was but I felt like I didnt do it properly for some reason. I had to replace the bleeder screw as it was rounded off I remember that much.

·
Wingless Wonder
5,397 Posts
I agree with DeloMike...get a new Clutch Master & Slave.

Both are available from JAE or RD Enterprises. :bow:

The Citroen Tranny'd system is easy to bleed.

One thing I do: After replacing the cylinders and bleeding, prop the clutch pedal down overnight. (Use a length of wood, aka Lotus Tool #1) If there are any tiny bubbles remaining, they will then come to the master and be expunged...
:clap:

·
Registered
49 Posts
the slave on the Renault tranny cars is difficult to bleed unless you hang it with the bleed nipple vertical. Not sure about the Citroen cars like yours.
+1 on that point. Unless you get the bleed nipple uppermost you won't get that last bubble of air out. Remove the 2 mounting bolts and make life easy for yourself.

·
Wingless Wonder
5,397 Posts
When we redid my slave cylinder we mounted it rightside up(bleed nipple up) instead of the Lotus way which is wrongside up...or something like that :)

The bleed nipple is SUPPOSED to be in the highest point on any cylinder. That's the way Lotus mounted it. :mad:

I bet somebody originally bled yours with the cylinder hanging un-mounted, then bolted it in upside-down. :p

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The bleed nipple is SUPPOSED to be in the highest point on any cylinder. That's the way Lotus mounted it. :mad:

I bet somebody originally bled yours with the cylinder hanging un-mounted, then bolted it in upside-down. :p
I dunno, it could have been. The point is that its now set and bleeding does NOT require unmounting the slave cylinder :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts