The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch pedal (it has been isolated to this area) is making an odd noise. Sounds like a cross between a squishy fart (don't ask) and a heavy spring on a door slowly opening and closing...

The clutch travel is slightly "un-smooth." Clutch take up, action, and noise at the clutch itself are otherwise normal. Has been looked at by the dealer, and down here the tech is great and was stumped himself. We tried lubing the shaft going to the master cylinder, which helped a bit, but still hasn't solved it.

I sat in a 2011 Evora S and it made a similar noise. But this was one other car so small sample. Tech and I thought maybe it was a symptom of the heavier S clutch.

As a reminder, mine is a 2010 NA running 2012+ Evora S clutch and flywheel.

It works and drives just fine but the noise drives me nuts. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

I guess between my headers, straight pipe and rattly front brake rotors I shouldn't complain too much about noise, but you know...

·
Registered
795 Posts
I experienced a clicking noise with the pedal the day I took I delivery of my car, which happened the day after the clutch master cylinder had been replaced under recall. Lubrication of the master cylinder was the fix.

·
Premium Member
8,377 Posts
Mine does it also. Best direction to lubricate from and choice of lubricant??

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the shaft/cylinder portion where the shaft goes was lubricated. I can't remember the name of the lube, but it was lubed according to Lotus using their recommended lube.

They've reached out to Lotus technical but I'm not sure they've heard back yet.

·
Registered
544 Posts
MY 2012 S with MC replaced via warranty. No noises/binding chudder, etc on clutch actuation.
Would think lubrication would need applying to cylinder bore, which possibly could be accomplished by removing dust cap over plunger/cylinder body, depressing clutch, exposing bore walls, then applying lube there. Further actuation of clutch should then distribute lube along bore wall, outside of plunger gasket/seal and hopefully resolving problem/noise?.......just a thought..........

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
back to the top...so I've gotten over my master cylinder and clutch pedal spring noise. It is an annoying sound, but it hasn't gone away. Dealer tried everythign while it was still under warranty to no avail, including replacing the master cylinder once due to a leak.

But now my slave is squeaking like a madman. I would like to lubricate the shaft on both to see if it helps. Any tips on best way to do this? And what to use?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm maybe it's time for a fluid swap then as well

·
Premium Member
8,377 Posts
Funny Mine stopped after bleedong as well. Thought I was just ignoring it but its gone. Now I have the creaky rack to start the season. I'll just be patient.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my clutch noises have run the gambit now...actuation is fine and I have insulated my entire line back there and am running ATE so it shouldn't be boiling, but despite not having too many miles this time it is about a year old so I'll look to swap it.

The pedal has made this "groink" noise for awhile and the shaft makes a little noise. Pedal actuation when super slow and deliberate has a slightly uneven feel but myself and the dealer tried for about a year to chase it down to no avail. At one point the master was leaking so it was replaced under warranty, but didn't help. It feels like to me that the pedal spring is making the noise (similar to opening a screen door, but deeper and heavier.) It may be tied to the much increased effort with the S clutch plate I have. Who knows, I'll check for leaks today.

On the rear end at the slave, it is new. The clutch has always been very mechanically noisy--especially with the S clutch and S flywheel on the NA motor. But now add in the squeaking.

I'll take Carlos up on his advice and get in there to lube the two cylinder shafts. The evora keeps nickling and diming me lately, and the M5 keeps kicking me in the nuts!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just got out there and played with it a little. The shaft on the master could use some lube. The car sat overnight so was cold, and there was much much less noise. No groink, just some squeaking at the master and slave which hopefully will be solved by lubing the shafts.

Sounds like it is time for new fluid. I may try Castrol SRF, or just more ATE.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Back from the dead. Was close to 100deg today, hottest day I've had the Evora in. Aside from the AC issues, the clutch pedal is making a kind of 'pop' and a bit of a spring binding sound/feeling after about the first inch of travel. I have a feeling it's the same as described here and in low2ground's thread. Did anyone ever find a solid solution/happen to get any pictures/etc of the locations that were binding up?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.