The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 88, after a period of hard accelleration in 3rd or 4th gear (probably any gear really, but I notice it in these particularly), the clutch pedal will go soft and almost completely to the floor til I repump it once or twice back to normal. I bled the crap out of it recently, im positive I got all the air out, as I had it hanging (slave cylinder) and vacumm pumped it til I got no bubbles at all, I went thru like almost two complete cans of Dot 4 fluid on it. Being very careful to not let the master run empty.

But what I noticed was that in the past I adjusted the bolt on the clutch fork to meet the clutch rod and it had no play in it, now for some reason the clutch rod will come way forward if I pull it and push the slave further into its bore way beyond what it takes to disengage the clutch. If I wanted I can push the slave in its bore and take the clutch rod out. It says in my manual that the bolt in the fork should be 21mm I think it is out of the front of the fork, mine is way beyond that to take up for this slack (more like 30-35mm), is this normal or what am I missing that is causing this? If I back off that fork bolt wont it make this problem worse by setting it to 21mm? My pedal travel is in spec. but something is moving it seems with the G force of the car and causing this problem, I just cant put my finger on what. I have replaced the slave completely and rebuilt the master cyl in the last 6 months.

Anyone else ever see this type of problem? I think it has something to do with that clutch fork/rod play, but I would think the G force would pull the rod the other way causing less play not more, meaning it would never need pumped back up on heavy accelleration. Im missing something in this predicament.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts