The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been a member on LotusTalk before but I'm back after a one year hiatus from the site! :clap: I have a gorgeous 2005, Chrome Orange, Lotus Elise, Touring package, Sport package, European racing rims and second stage exhaust. I bought her brand new in Manhattan Beach, CA in 2005. Her name is Fetish and she has been my daily driver for the past 5 years, up until then I only drove her occasionally. I'm at the point of needing a clutch replacement and I'm in a quandary as where to go! Has anyone ever taken their Lotus to a Toyota mechanic?? I don't have any certified Lotus mechanics in the immediate area and I don't have the tools or the place to do the job myself and not even sure if I want to tackle the clutch! :crazyeyes

I'm glad to be back on the forum and I hope someone will be able to advise me or point me in the right direction.

LotusFetish

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I took mine to an average joe transmission shop.
I installed a clam hinge first and "opened it up" for them, while not tecnically necesary it saved a ton of labor and potential damage. I had also ordered all the parts and fluids ahead of time as well to keep from having any delays or incorrect parts. One other thing I did was compiled a list of threads on how to do the job and emailed them to their tech so he could pre read and familiarize himself before hand. No problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your reply! That was very helpful information because I am considering taking it to a very reputable shop just not certified Lotus, so those are extremely good ideas to help expedite the work and make sure they're informed and have all that they need.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
since you're in LA, you can visit Harry at A1.

He is a member here and a great mechanic that has been servicing the socal Lotus community for a while.

http://www.a1smog.com/

·
Registered
339 Posts
Qais at South Bay Autohaus on Rosecrans is a Lotus trained mechanic who quite a few folks here use.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EddieA,
Qais was my original mechanic when I bought the car in MB but then I took it back to IL for a few years and when I brought it back here to CA I was told he was working at Autohaus on Rosecrans so I made an appointment (this was about 3 years ago), he never showed up and when I tried to reschedule they said he no longer worked there and was working for a private owner of multiple Lotus'. ???

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
The Toyota dealer shouldn't have that much of an issue, as the clutch job is almost Identical to a MR2 clutch job. I have done both personally, and it is not that complex personally speaking that any "real" mechanic can figure it out pretty easily.

But it is Almost IDENTICAL to a MR2 job...the only difference you have to remove the lower A arm to drop the transmission.

·
Registered
339 Posts
EddieA,
Qais was my original mechanic when I bought the car in MB but then I took it back to IL for a few years and when I brought it back here to CA I was told he was working at Autohaus on Rosecrans so I made an appointment (this was about 3 years ago), he never showed up and when I tried to reschedule they said he no longer worked there and was working for a private owner of multiple Lotus'. ???
He did some work on my car last month, and 10 days ago did an ECM change. He's there.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
LOVE that clam hinge!
But just as a matter of convenience, I opened the clam and then set it aside.
The rest was just a common clutch job.
Sam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts