The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in or know someone in San Diego that can do a clutch replacement on a 2000 Esprit? I know Symbolic can, but anyone else?

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
Symbolic does good work, but kind of expensive. If you want to consider another option, try Harry at Viking Motorsports (Located in Costa Mesa) so it'll be quite a drive.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Symbolic does good work, but kind of expensive. If you want to consider another option, try Harry at Viking Motorsports (Located in Costa Mesa) so it'll be quite a drive.
Yes, Symbolic normally does all my work on the Esprit and the Elise. Never had any issues with them. But they wanted over 8k for the clutch replacement. I talked with Harry and its only 3.5k. Harry also thinks from what I was telling him what was happening it may NOT need a clutch and possibly just some Hydraulic work and Symbolic does not seem to take any approach to that idea.

Was hoping someone was closer that could look at the other ideas like the Hydraulic option as a friend thought it would be as well.

I am just not that mechanical with cars unfortunately. I need to learn, but not on my Lotus :p

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Try William Barclay at International Auto Repair and Restoration in Escondido if you don't want to take it to Symbolic.

760 598 6649

He has some incredible vehicles in his garage there. He diagnosed the camshaft problem on the elise I had within an hour. Hourly rate is 80 bucks so he's pretty affordable. He specializes in ferrari, rolls royce and jaguar but he didn't seem to have any problem working on the Lotus. He had an old Elan sitting right next to my elise. Older gent but definitely knows his stuff.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
What is the symptom? What's the mileage on your car? When is the last time the clutch was replaced?

BTW, 8K on the clutch replacement seems very high, does it include the flywheel? Even it does it still seems high.

Alan

Yes, Symbolic normally does all my work on the Esprit and the Elise. Never had any issues with them. But they wanted over 8k for the clutch replacement. I talked with Harry and its only 3.5k. Harry also thinks from what I was telling him what was happening it may NOT need a clutch and possibly just some Hydraulic work and Symbolic does not seem to take any approach to that idea.

Was hoping someone was closer that could look at the other ideas like the Hydraulic option as a friend thought it would be as well.

I am just not that mechanical with cars unfortunately. I need to learn, but not on my Lotus :p

·
Registered
247 Posts
CHTHHULHU wrote:
You will be hard pressed to beat Harry Appleby as a service source. He is into these cars and is very well respected in the Esprit community. The drive might prove to be worth it. You might give him a call. Maybe you could work something out by using the train (the Coaster) to make drop off and pick up easier.

Just a thought.

Separately, where are you located in the San Diego area. I'm up in Escondido. There aren't too many Esprits around here.

Regards,
Ron

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the symptom? What's the mileage on your car? When is the last time the clutch was replaced?

BTW, 8K on the clutch replacement seems very high, does it include the flywheel? Even it does it still seems high.

Alan
When car is off the clutch and gears work perfect. When car in on I cannot seem to get it in reverse or fourth gear and not sure about fifth. The car seem to jitter of the line and when driving it seem to feel out of gear and then it was hard to get into gear at all. I had a friend bleed the line and that is what made it seem better. 1-3 seem to work somewhat when testing driving it after the bleeding. It does seem to slip or not catchting right away when going into gear when releasing the clutch. Before the bleeding getting it in gear with the car moving was almost impossible.

Yes price did include flywheel if needed. Car has 21k on the clock. Clutch never replaced

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CHTHHULHU wrote:

You will be hard pressed to beat Harry Appleby as a service source. He is into these cars and is very well respected in the Esprit community. The drive might prove to be worth it. You might give him a call. Maybe you could work something out by using the train (the Coaster) to make drop off and pick up easier.

Just a thought.

Separately, where are you located in the San Diego area. I'm up in Escondido. There aren't too many Esprits around here.

Regards,
Ron

Will have to look in to that. Thanks for the info. I am in Mira Mesa.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try William Barclay at International Auto Repair and Restoration in Escondido if you don't want to take it to Symbolic.

760 598 6649

He has some incredible vehicles in his garage there. He diagnosed the camshaft problem on the elise I had within an hour. Hourly rate is 80 bucks so he's pretty affordable. He specializes in ferrari, rolls royce and jaguar but he didn't seem to have any problem working on the Lotus. He had an old Elan sitting right next to my elise. Older gent but definitely knows his stuff.
I will give him a call and see what he says. Thanks!

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
It sounds like the clutch is a little worn. Even if flywheel is needed, Viking still came out to be around 3K cheaper than Symbolic.

BTW, since your car is a 2000, Lotus will replace the timing belt once for free up to 8 yrs, you might want to look into that.

Alan

When car is off the clutch and gears work perfect. When car in on I cannot seem to get it in reverse or fourth gear and not sure about fifth. The car seem to jitter of the line and when driving it seem to feel out of gear and then it was hard to get into gear at all. I had a friend bleed the line and that is what made it seem better. 1-3 seem to work somewhat when testing driving it after the bleeding. It does seem to slip or not catchting right away when going into gear when releasing the clutch. Before the bleeding getting it in gear with the car moving was almost impossible.

Yes price did include flywheel if needed. Car has 21k on the clock. Clutch never replaced

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

760 598 6649

I talked with William and he seems very knowledgeable in Esprit and says he has worked an several of all years. Prices seem very reasonable as well. I think I will give him a chance. He also thinks it could be hydraulic as well. Thank you so much for this info. Wish I knew him when I had my Aston Martin :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts