The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to upgrade my clutch soon, and was "considering" doing it myself :crazyeyes. Is there a thread on the steps of how to do it? Am I nuts for attempting this?
Thanks.
Rick

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I am going to upgrade my clutch soon, and was "considering" doing it myself :crazyeyes. Is there a thread on the steps of how to do it? Am I nuts for attempting this?
Thanks.
Rick
For what it's worth, replacing the clutch is ~10 hour job for an experienced mechanic.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If there were specific instructions, like that came with my BWR s/c, I feel I could do it, possibly maybe! So there is no such thing on here anywhere?
Rick

·
Registered
71 Posts
I dit it.
With no mechanical experience other than bicycle...
I took a bunch of pictures and will eventually add them in a thread.
Serge

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I thought someone mentioned a tech that allowed removal without pulling the engine.

I'm planning on trying this myself as well. I just pulled the clam. I'm doing the TVS kit, clutch and engine mounts all at the same time. Now to figure out the right sequence. Hmmm....

Yeah, but without unbolting, lifting and tilting the engine, there's not enough clearance to pull the transaxle off. No need to remove the clam. It's all in the service manual.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I thought someone mentioned a tech that allowed removal without pulling the engine.
I'd like to know more about this if true.

There's only about an inch of clearance between the end of the transaxle housing and the subframe. You'd need a whole lot more than that.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I just did my clutch. I rented a garage with a lift, a trans jack and engine jack. It took two of us 11 hours. The manual is right on when it comes to the proceedure. There are only two tough parts, removing the inner left hand CV and getting ones hands in to reach all those unreachable bolts such as the starter. We has to unbolt the motor and support it with a jack then slide the trans. off the input shaft and rotate it 90 degrees to extract it. After we got the thing apart it was only two hours to put it all back together. I think the next time I have to replace the clutch it should be an 8-10 hour job. I don't know if I could have done the job on my garage floor

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
the factory pays 5 hours. carl
My mechanic did it in 5.5. Without using the manual and without having done one before.

Of course he also had a 20s Rolls in the next bay that he was rebuilding, a V12 BMW on the other side that he was doing a custom exhaust for, and a Chevelle he was looking to get 700HP out of across from it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts