The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '88 Esprit Turbo. I just finished a transmission rebuild. It's ready to go back in. I don't see in the manual where it mentions anything on the clutch shaft splines, and it doesn't say leave them dry either, ( to keep from contaminating the clutch). Does anybody know?
THANKS! Al

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should mention for international folks, in the US, '88 was the last year for the Citroen c35 trans. That's what I have.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
No grease on Splines. Not a good idea because of contamination...

Do you have a GOOD punch for the output yoke pins? If not, get some.

Reactions: greenisGood

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
While the splines should be dry I like to make sure the clutch plate can easily slide on the splines and I put a bit of Never Seize very sparingly on the splines and wipe off any excess. It can get hot and you don't want any contamination on the clutch plate so never use grease. I also use a spray of Brakeclean on the flywheel and pressure plate just before I put it together to remove any fingerprints, dirt, grease, or oil. A small blast of WD-40 on the tip of the input shaft to help it slide into the bearing is OK. You don't want grease or oil in the clutch because it will hold the dirt and used friction materiel from the clutch and then become rock hard and interfere with it's operation. Often things not in a manual are left up to the mechanic's judgement and experience. I have also used high temperature brake grease (used to be used in old drum brakes where the shoes slide on the back plate) on the pivot points in the clutch like the clutch fork and the throwout bearing to prevent squeaks. Again, VERY sparingly. As for the pins in the output shafts, if they don't go in easily STOP, rotate the flange 180 degrees and try again. Are you using a ball bearing for the pilot bearing? The Citroen box has a bad habit of welding the input shaft into the crankshaft eventually.
David Teitelbaum

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
749 Posts
A light smear of anti-seize is what I've generally used. I think on the last one I did a light spritz of lock-eze, which is graphite in an evaporating vehicle, so no oil to migrate at all.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I always use Mobil 1 grease on the splines. Never had a problem, no rust.

The Honda/Acura shop manual specifies coating the clutch splines with their high temp Urea grease.

I did that and the car now has 278,000 miles, with one of the best (feeling) manual transmissions and shifters ever made...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts