The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ideas what it is. On a 30 mile drive today, stopped at a light, pressing the clutch in to put in 1st gear, there is a faint squeak.

Also does it from 1-2 shift.

Not consistent, seemed to go in and out (the noise) on the 30 mile drive.

The noise is similar to a very old door in an old house, being opened slowly.....

The clutch performs fine.......no slippage, no unusual smell, no grinding....NOTHING.
Car shifts like a dream - Butter.

Thoughts/ideas?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Mine did this. I think if you search for lubrication the clutch fork, you'll find how to grease it up. That's what I did and mine went away. Just be careful not to get the boot for the clutch fork to greased up on the outside. It's especially hard to slip back on when you can't grab a hold of it.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Drove it around today to check again. Seems like in slow/low speeds it does it, and in lower gears. Very faint noise, but annoying nonetheless.

Hope the grease takes care of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
im still dreaming about my lotus so i really dont have alot of experience with the clutch in one but i just replaced the clutch in my bmw and it had that same noise when you pressed or depressed the clutch pedal and it ended up being the throwout bearing going out. Im not sure if the lotus has a throwout bearing though...whoo hoo first post in 2 years of membership!! im not a lurker at all haha

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Very easy fix. Get the back end of the car up, remove the underbody panels.

Once under the car, look up for the boot rubber boot that activates the clutch fork. Grab a bottle of WD-40 with the straw. Stick the straw up under the boot, and squeeze a small amount of WD-40 in there as you shift the straw back and forth. Just a little will do the trick.

jum in the car and test. It works for about a year.

You do not need to pull the boot back at all with this method. I do it when I have the underbody off anyway for oil changes or checking torques on the inner toe link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts