The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished reinstalling the clutch slave cylinder after accidentally popping out the piston while working on the engine mounts (See thread Clutch broken)
Now I get a loud squeak when I press on the clutch pedal. I can feel the vibration in the slave but don't know if it is from inside the slave or where the rod presses on the clutch fork. Before I take it apart again it would help to know what I should be looking for. Any ideas on what I could have done wrong?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have just finished reinstalling the clutch slave cylinder after accidentally popping out the piston while working on the engine mounts (See thread Clutch broken)
Now I get a loud squeak when I press on the clutch pedal. I can feel the vibration in the slave but don't know if it is from inside the slave or where the rod presses on the clutch fork. Before I take it apart again it would help to know what I should be looking for. Any ideas on what I could have done wrong?
Thanks
Sounds like it might be the throwout bearing on the clutch

I’ve had that fail prematurely on another car & it makes a very similar squeak only during clutch engagement (& you could very well feel a light pulsing when your pedal is in that sweet spot)

i see that you mention replacing the clutch recently... what kit did you go with? & how many miles do you have on it thus far?

its not out of the ordinary that you got a faulty bearing with the kit to begin with (unfortunatly its hard to tell until its already installed)... very inconveniant since it'll require you to remove the trans to replace it again

also, did you put any grease on the bearing prior to seating it with the clutch?

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Any noise when engine off and you press on clutch pedal?

When does noise occur? First bit of travel, last, entire?

Does higher rpm change the noise?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The squeak was coming from the slave cylinder when the engine is not running. I thought about taking the slave apart and checking the seals etc. but then found I could get a new one from AutoZone for $26 so put that in - problem solved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts