The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Over the last month or so I have been going out with fellow car enthusiasts for spirited drives that last about an hour to around two hours. After my last drive Sunday I was noticing more and more that there was a grinding/chattering noise coming from the rear

I have searched and noticed that a lot of people can make the noise stop by depressing the clutch pedal. Well last night I took my friend from out of town for a ride and the noise came back. So at a light I put the car in neutral and depressed the clutch and the noise actually became a little louder.

On our way back home cruising at 65mph in 6th the noise came back and was accompanied by the smell of burning clutch. I have no idea how long the smell has been occuring with the sound as that was the first time I have had the top off for a little while.

Just wondering what my options are and what you guys think?

RB

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If the noise comes and goes pressing the pedal that's usually the throw-out bearing, not the clutch itself. But if you smell it burning the clutch may be bad, too.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry if I was unclear in my original post. After searching thru some threads on here I read that some people have a noise that comes and can be eliminated by depressing the clutch. My noise when present is persistant even if the clutch is depressed.

RB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts