The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my '10 yesterday and the car stopped functioning on the drive home. Heres what happened.....Merged on to the highway in 2nd, shifted into 3rd and didnt grab gear, RPMs went up but the car didnt move any faster. Slowly came to a stop on the hwy, tried every gear and it didnt grab any. Had it towed home and let it sit for a bit. When I turned the car on, I put it into reverse (reverse lights came on), Im assuming its not the linkage. If i start releasing the clutch at higher RPMs than normal it will try to move. At this point im afraid to try and take it out of the garage because I wont be able to get it back in.

Has anyone experienced this issue? The car has 9k miles. is my clutch/pressure plate toast?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Yikes! Is the shifter floppy or feel tight with the shift cables?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes! Is the shifter floppy or feel tight with the shift cables?
Im soo pissed I dont even want to look at the car. I'll take a closer look tomorrow once I get passed the anger and denial stage as to how the shifter is behaving and give some feedback.

·
Registered
220 Posts
there was one in Denver that just had a clutch at 15K, but the car was abused from what I was told. there have been a few early clutch failures but mostly due to throwout bearing. no indication of any slippage or anything while test driving prior to purchase?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
If i start releasing the clutch at higher RPMs than normal it will try to move. At this point im afraid to try and take it out of the garage because I wont be able to get it back in.

Has anyone experienced this issue? The car has 9k miles. is my clutch/pressure plate toast?
Had this same issue on my Audi's aftermarket replacement clutch. The replacement clutch had less than 15k miles when it started doing the same as yours. The issue in my case turned out to be a faulty friction disc. No, it's not an Evora, but manual clutches basically work the same all across the board regardless of vehicle.

Your issue is very premature at only 9k miles. Whether you have any warranty remaining or not you should contact Lotus of America about this. They may cover the total cost of replacement. Even Audi who hates their customers (j/k...kind of) would cover at least half the cost. I think it was called a goodwill act or something like that. Good luck & best wishes to you!

I'm sure this doesn't make you feel any better, but just trying to let you know there are options. I doubt they'd just tell you to go pound sand. Audi would, but Lotus isn't Audi.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had this same issue on my Audi's aftermarket replacement clutch. The replacement clutch had less than 15k miles when it started doing the same as yours. The issue in my case turned out to be a faulty friction disc. No, it's not an Evora, but manual clutches basically work the same all across the board regardless of vehicle.

Your issue is very premature at only 9k miles. Whether you have any warranty remaining or not you should contact Lotus of America about this. They may cover the total cost of replacement. Even Audi who hates their customers (j/k...kind of) would cover at least half the cost. I think it was called a goodwill act or something like that. Good luck & best wishes to you!

I'm sure this doesn't make you feel any better, but just trying to let you know there are options. I doubt they'd just tell you to go pound sand. Audi would, but Lotus isn't Audi.
Thank you for the help. How would I go about contacting lotus of america? Also another concern is with a faulty friction disc did it work some of the time? I need to get emissions done on this car asap and I have to be able to drive it a mile and a mile back. At this point im scared to pull it out of the garage because I wont be able to get it back in

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's could be possible your clutch master cylinder went out and the clutch is not engaging? Jack the car up, pull the pan under the motor and have somebody press the clutch pedal while observing the clutch arm on the transmission to see if it is moving back and forth. Hopefully it's not your clutch disc, it's hard to believe the disc could go out at such low miles. Pray that it's something as simple as the clutch master cylinder, there is a recalled on them and Lotus will fix it. Success!

;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
^ Thats was where I was gonna start.

Also does anyone know the answer to the following.... if the shifter cable is broken will the reverse lights turn on when lever is put into the reverse position?

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
While it's good to have Lotus of America on your side, they're not going to be able to help you without knowing what the problem is. They'll likely tell you to take the car to a dealer for evaluation. When you've identified the cause, you can come up with a plan. Lotus will also likely require that any repairs be performed by a dealer for them to be covered at all. So start with your dealer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pulling the pan and looking the clutch arm as well as the shifting cables will instantly reveal the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Played with it all weekend. Used a borescope to look at the internals through the maintenance cover. everything works as it should. We had all 4 wheels off the ground the clutch grabs ever so slightly but as soon as theres enough load its slips. So the diagnosis is that something has failed internally. So basically I am SOL.

clutch failure at 9k miles is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm having the car shipped to the local dealer and have them give me a proper diagnosis before I contact lotus USA and pretty much beg them to help me out.

Does anyone have a diy for a clutch job?

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
That car was abused in all liklihood as in drag launches.... Might want to discuss with seller!!!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
It actually does sound a bit like the throwout bearing issue, where there were various symptomatics. Most cars effected were 10's and early 11's and it generally did occur between a few 1000 and say 10 K miles. Probably the former owner should have noticed something.

Lotus covered everything through the warranty, but I have no idea how they will handle cars that are now out.

·
Illegal Alien
5,261 Posts
.... . If i start releasing the clutch at higher RPMs than normal it will try to move. At this point im afraid to try and take it out of the garage because I wont be able to get it back in.

Was there any hint of burnt clutch odor?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
So, this clearly shows poor engagement of the clutch. Either the clutch is worn out, or it is "hanging", possibly on the throwout bearing.

In any case, it will be a costly engine out job. Can you take the seller in regress?

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Former owner knew it was time to sell I think. My noisy dif is on file with Lotus just in case it happens someday for example.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPADTE:

The car is at the dealer and they have confirmed what we initially believed. The clutch is toast. ECU dump was done which showed no hard driving or launches. LCUSA was contacted and after 2 days of going back and forth they said they are not able to help and the warranty dept denied the claim. So now I'm paying for a car im not driving, need to fork out more money to fix the car I cant drive, worse part is its getting warm out and i have nothing to drive.

No wonder Lotus is failing in the US, they cant even maintain their existing customers. If I wanted to spend $8k every 9k miles I will go buy a ferrari.

·
Registered
220 Posts
if car has any remaining warranty,Sue 'em. Proof of no hard driving? a clutch should last more than 9K miles!!, we aren't talking a Yugo, interesting they would not back the quality of the car they sell.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if car has any remaining warranty,Sue 'em. Proof of no hard driving? a clutch should last more than 9K miles!!, we aren't talking a Yugo, interesting they would not back the quality of the car they sell.
The car is 6 months out of warranty :facepalm

suing them may end up costing me more than 8k. Being in a family that has owned 9 Lotuses this is a terrible way to treat a loyal customer. Brand loyalty ends with this evora.

On a better note, the local dealer has given me a rather decent quote which is much lower than 8k (which is what most of the people on here has paid) still that doesnt negate the fact that the clutch failed in the first place. LCUSA has said that they will reopen the matter if it is evident that the clutch had failure due to faulty parts once the dealer takes it apart.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts