The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in "Other"....yes after a search....because I think many will soon be considering a conversion if gas prices go they way of the doomsday that all news stations are predicting. And although the Elise/Exige would be a perfect platform due to low weight I would hate to give up the sound of the engine and balance of the car. So for my other cars I have been looking into a possible CNG w/ home refueling station or maybe even a full electric conversion.

I really have no knowledge in these areas and was wondering what people here think. Seems like if all you need is a 50-75 mile range for daily driving (to and from work) electric would be the way to go based on energy efficiency and cost to re-charge. However I can't seem to find anyone who is doing this right now, seems like a great idea for a business if someone had the know-how and a shop to do it in.

I have found some info on converting to CNG, many cars here in AZ had it done a few years ago when the state was offering HUGE incentives and almost broke the state for doing it. I found an in-home CNG re-fueling station but have no idea how much it would cost.

Here is the link: index

Just wondering what people here think and who wants to start an electric car conversion company with me????? All you need to bring to the table is the knowledge, expertise, money and oh yea a shop to get it all started in.....basically I have nothing but an idea!!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
With CNG, you're still tied to the energy industry and cyclical prices. With electric, you at least have the potential to be completely self-sufficient, via solar panels.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
With CNG, you're still tied to the energy industry and cyclical prices. With electric, you at least have the potential to be completely self-sufficient, via solar panels.
On the other hand with CNG there is very little mechanical change to an existing vehicle - just the fueling system. An electric conversion on the other hand is a major engineering challenge.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the other hand with CNG there is very little mechanical change to an existing vehicle - just the fueling system. An electric conversion on the other hand is a major engineering challenge.
Yes, that is a big factor in looking at CNG. I drove some "company" cars a while back in a government job that were CNG and they were not very reliable. Don't know if that is the case for all conversion but these did not make me a fan.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hint...TESLA Motors...Tesla Motors.
Yes, I know about TESLA. However I don't have an extra $100K laying around to give a away. It would probably cost less than $5000 for all the parts needed to convert a car to electric, I just don't quite have the know-how to do it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I find it hard to believe that no one on this board has much to say on this subject. In the past there were many members who "virtual experts" in anything you brought up.

Did we loose that many people with the new owners or am I just really way out in left field on this subject. I was really hoping for some discussion/information on this from anyone who might have some experience or knowledge about converting a car to some type of alternate fuel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts