The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, did anyone else attend this year's Coachella Music Festival in California? I must say that Portishead and Prince both put on amazing performances. Other memorable acts were M.I.A. (the rowdiest crowd), Boys Noize (unbelievably good dance music) and Cinematic Orchestra (perfect soundtrack for a mellow desert evening). Temperatures were in the 100s on Saturday, but lots of Gatorade and water kept us hydrated. I'd definitely recommend it to any lover of music.

Cheers :wave:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I didn't attend, but was interested in what you thought of the performances by MGMT, Aphex Twin, Fatboy Slim, Cold War Kids and the Verve? I missed the Portishead performance here in DC way back and always regretted that.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
So, did anyone else attend this year's Coachella Music Festival in California? I must say that Portishead and Prince both put on amazing performances. Other memorable acts were M.I.A. (the rowdiest crowd), Boys Noize (unbelievably good dance music) and Cinematic Orchestra (perfect soundtrack for a mellow desert evening). Temperatures were in the 100s on Saturday, but lots of Gatorade and water kept us hydrated. I'd definitely recommend it to any lover of music.

Cheers :wave:
I'm going to see M.I.A. at McCarren Pool in Brooklyn in June. I missed her the last time she was in NY...

·
Registered
506 Posts
I went on Friday and Saturday nights.

Kraftwerk was legendary as always; I've seen them many times... Florian stayed home this time, but it matters not. I'd be fine to watch the robots do the whole show!

Portishead was very good, a little harsh and shrill now and then when the tape echo feedback was ringing away, but their live video rig consisted of lots of minicams feeding the big screens through filters that made it all look like Italian rabbit-ears TV broadcasts from the 1960's... very cool, very engrossing.

Prince brought out the full Paisley Park Revue, with Morris Day and Sheila E and the whole nine yards. Very few songs from some new quadruple album that you've never heard, just lots of hits and classics, jammed out and medley-ized from time to time. Ridiculously talented musicians, all of them.

But nothing could ever top Roger Waters. He blew every other rock act on the planet out of the water in a two-and-a-half-hour performance... In The Flesh, Mother, Set the Controls, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Have a Cigar, Wish You Were Here, Southampton Dock, Fletcher Memorial Home, Perfect Sense 1 and 2, Leaving Beirut, Sheep.....

.... then a fifteen minute break....

... Then they played Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety...

....THEN for an encore they played Happiest Days of Our Lives, Brick in The Wall 2, Vera Lynn, Bring the Boys Back Home, and Comfortably Numb.

Sixty-foot pyro blasts on the side....

Twenty foot blasts on stage in front of AND in sync with the war footage on the sixty-foot video wall....

A flying pig....

A freaking AIRPLANE circling overhead dropping confetti....

Roger's son Harry manually recreating the EMS Synthi parts on Dark Side on a vintage EMS...

Lili Haydn playing the Comfortably Numb guitar solo on violin with echo and fuzzwah...

A twenty-foot 3d replica of the Dark Side logo that hangs over the stage, with VariLites projecting the rainbow and white beam out from within a neon pyramid as it rotates slowly, scanning the crowd with the rainbow beam...

Oh, and did I mention that it was in full surround-sound, and the tape effects on Dark Side (voices, clocks, etc.) were coming at you from all angles?

An unbelievable show. I would not have missed it for the world.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was there on Saturday only.

some of the highlights for me were;

VHS or Beta
myspace.com/vhsorbeta

Hot Chip (super super cool.. can't wait to see them again.)
Hot Chip

Cafe Tacuva (played all of my favorites from them.. great set)

M.I.A. (parts of her set were really cool.. seemed to have some sound issues in the beginning and then a crowd disruption in the middle)

Yelle (also super super cool set.)
myspace.com/iloveyelle

Junkie XL (first time seeing him.. pretty cool dance music)

MGMT (kind of a slow start to their set, but once it got going they were great)

didn't see all of Kraftwerk's set but what i saw was pretty cool. Especially "computer love."

saw the end of Carbon/Silicon (Mick Jones ex-clash is the lead singer) they were pretty cool. A little too much "rock" and not enough "punk" for my tastes, but still pretty cool.

missed Portishead and Deathcab for cutie...but was glad to see MIA and Yelle instead.

saw the first 25 minutes of Prince. Then i just lost interest. The long medleys and the Morris Day, Shiela E, ChakaKhan stuff was just boring to me.

I heard the show got really good after that, but i was just too tired to care by that point.

Overall, a great time with some great music. Didn't get sunburned and stayed hydrated the whole time. :D

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I went for Saturday only, had a blast.
(sorta wish I had taken my Lotus out there, but didn't wanna push the A/C, nor park in the dusty parking lots from hell!)

All the bands I saw were pretty good - Kate Nash, Hot Chip, MIA, Junkie XL, Kraftwerk, Portishead
and stuck around to see all of Prince. Never was a big fan of his, but he certainly knows how to play the guitar, and it was nice to hear him play all the classics.
including a cover of Radiohead's "creep"!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went on Friday and Saturday nights.

Kraftwerk was legendary as always; I've seen them many times... Florian stayed home this time, but it matters not. I'd be fine to watch the robots do the whole show!

Portishead was very good, a little harsh and shrill now and then when the tape echo feedback was ringing away, but their live video rig consisted of lots of minicams feeding the big screens through filters that made it all look like Italian rabbit-ears TV broadcasts from the 1960's... very cool, very engrossing.

Prince brought out the full Paisley Park Revue, with Morris Day and Sheila E and the whole nine yards. Very few songs from some new quadruple album that you've never heard, just lots of hits and classics, jammed out and medley-ized from time to time. Ridiculously talented musicians, all of them.

But nothing could ever top Roger Waters. He blew every other rock act on the planet out of the water in a two-and-a-half-hour performance... In The Flesh, Mother, Set the Controls, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Have a Cigar, Wish You Were Here, Southampton Dock, Fletcher Memorial Home, Perfect Sense 1 and 2, Leaving Beirut, Sheep.....

.... then a fifteen minute break....

... Then they played Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety...

....THEN for an encore they played Happiest Days of Our Lives, Brick in The Wall 2, Vera Lynn, Bring the Boys Back Home, and Comfortably Numb.

Sixty-foot pyro blasts on the side....

Twenty foot blasts on stage in front of AND in sync with the war footage on the sixty-foot video wall....

A flying pig....

A freaking AIRPLANE circling overhead dropping confetti....

Roger's son Harry manually recreating the EMS Synthi parts on Dark Side on a vintage EMS...

Lili Haydn playing the Comfortably Numb guitar solo on violin with echo and fuzzwah...

A twenty-foot 3d replica of the Dark Side logo that hangs over the stage, with VariLites projecting the rainbow and white beam out from within a neon pyramid as it rotates slowly, scanning the crowd with the rainbow beam...

Oh, and did I mention that it was in full surround-sound, and the tape effects on Dark Side (voices, clocks, etc.) were coming at you from all angles?

An unbelievable show. I would not have missed it for the world.
+1 on everything you said! That flying pig was conceived by a local graffiti artist called Slick. The Kraftwerk show was pretty amazing. I can't wait for next year...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
They were supposed to collect the pig once it went up but they lost track of it. If you happen to find and return it, you get 4 free Coachella tickets every year for life. Keep your eyes peeled.

·
Registered
340 Posts
+1 on everything you said! That flying pig was conceived by a local graffiti artist called Slick. The Kraftwerk show was pretty amazing. I can't wait for next year...
I am pretty sure the flying pig idea dates back to around 1977 or so. May not be the same pig but he was conceived a long time ago.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am pretty sure the flying pig idea dates back to around 1977 or so. May not be the same pig but he was conceived a long time ago.
Yeah, I just meant the current version...

I can't believe it's missing! How could someone just take a huge pig out of there!?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was there Friday and Saturday.

I saw:

Les Savy Fav- Fat guy in minimal clothing, climbed the stage. Pretty interesting.
Battles- Not impressed, even though their live shows are supposed to be fantastic.
Architecture in Helsinki- Great show, lots of energy.
Vampire Weekend- Started out bad, ended very well.
The Raconteurs- Amazing.
Pendulum- Absolutely nuts...my ears were practically bleeding afterward, but it was worth it.
Jack Johnson- He gets a lot of hate, but I liked his performance a lot. Matt Costa came out and played a couple songs with him at the end.
The Bird and the Bee- Entertaining, lead singer is pretty cute.
MGMT- Started out a little slow, as lc_09 said, but they ended great. It helped that they were my favorite band there.
Cafe Tacvba- Awesome show...I don't speak Spanish, but it was very entertaining.
Death Cab for Cutie- Better than I was expecting...I like them, but I didn't think their sound would translate well to a live show. I was wrong.
MIA- I love MIA but I wasn't impressed with the performance...there were too many problems, mostly out of her control.
Portishead- Incredible.
Prince- He is a great performer, so I really enjoyed his show despite not really liking his music.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts