The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously thinking about a FL to central CA trip in my Elise when I move back to CA in the spring. I have 2 cars to chose from my Ford Mustang or my Lotus Elise. I want to drive my Elise but have my doubts about it. I will be traveling alone and will have a fresh set of all season Conti DWS on the car if I take the Elise. My household goods and other car whichever it might be will be moved for me so I just need a few overnight bags and some essentials on the trip.

Drawbacks for driving the Lotus:
1) Very few service centers that can deal with Lotus cars along the way.
2) Slow return on parts if I broke down and needed a part.
3) Small gas tank. I would have to stop every 250 miles or so.
4) I would want to do 90mph+ the entire way.
5) Very little to no cargo room.
6) I might get fatigued driving it that far for 3 or 4 days with the noise.
7) No spare tire.
8) 27+ MPG

Plus points to driving the Mustang:
1) Big comfortable 6 way power chair to sit in at the drivers seat.
2) Big gas tank 300+ miles per tank.
4) lots of Ford service centers along the way.
5) Ford parts are easy and cheap to get anywhere.
6) Lots of room for stuff. Big trunk and a back seat to put stuff in. I dont think I need all that room for stuff but its nice to have.
7) Spare tire.
8) 23 MPG

Just to let you know I currently DD my Elise and let my 07 Mustang rest. In one year of ownership I have put 3 times the miles on the Elise as the Mustang and the Elise has been pretty good to me. A/C works good. I have both hard and soft tops. I have driven the Elise for 6 hours in one day but I have done long road trips in the Mustang before.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
For me it would depend on what I was planning for such a trip. If it’s more about going from point A to B, it would be the Mustang. For a long trip having more space for stuff and a more of a comfortable cruiser would be easier for the long stretches of freeway driving .

If I was making more of an adventure of it, taking in lots of fun to drive backroads, where the Elise is more in its element, it would be her keys I’d be grabbing.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
+1

If I had 5 days to do the trip I would take the Mustang and go for the mental burn of the superslab. If I had 2 weeks I would take the Elise and enjoy the trip. Follow the back roads visiting interesting places along the way.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
with how i travel, usually spontaneous with my backpack which contains 2 change of clothes, a pair of slippers and a pair of sneakers, toothbrush, mouthwash and ofc 1 or 2 computers, then go with the elise.
I can just imaging how much more fun my trip to canada would have been in an elise (i only had a duffel bag of clothes). or trip to chi, during which, for the longest time, a miata, C class and myself were just zooming by everyone in the fast lane.

I will also add that sometimes, it is better, to prepare for the best, instead of the worst, like what happens if your car DOESN'T break down?

·
Back to the Future, again
6,184 Posts
If you plan it out and take your Elise to a trusty mechanic to do a comprehensive road ready inspection, there shouldn't be too much of a problem. These cars, as much as people think they are exotic, is still basically a Toyota Celica engine and transmission with a different engine chip.

It'll be a grand adventure. Unless you are on a timeline, make a road trip out of it with some detours through scenic routes and mountain passes. It'll be a trip you won't soon forget.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If I was moving I'd take my truck so I can load it up and move stuff. The last time I moved they didn't want to touch any of my "hazmat" type stuff like oils, welding tanks, etc. Also everything they moved went into storage for several months while my house was being built, so I had to live off the clothes and items I had hauled with me.

I certainly wasn't going to get rid of several thousand dollars of stuff just because they wouldn't take it! Just my torch tanks and 2 welding tanks were over $1000 new.

While the Elise is fun to drive and all, not so practical to hold anything much. I think not having cruise control and not being very comfortable would not be too much fun either. Fine for a couple hr drive, but cross country, dunno.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Other than adding tons of miles to Lotus, I vote for Lotus. You might encounter more wows or interesting comments while traveling in lotus. "Gee wiz who makes Lotus? " it might be more fun.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Give some college kid $500 for time and gas and tell him to drive the Mustang cross country for you. There are services like that.
A car being shipped is included in the house hold goods shipment so no need for me to shell out $500 to have someone drive the other car.

If I take the Lotus I will give myself about 10 days to travel. I have drove from CA to FL in a Uhaul and made it in 4 days and as I recall that did not have cruse control.

The boot and the passengers seat/footwell should be enough cargo room for me as all I will bring with me is a laptop, shaving kit, some uniforms, and clothing. A lot of shorts and t-shirts can fit in the boot of an Elise. I could also UPS some stuff to the new place and have it there waiting for me when I get there.

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
believe it or not, my Elise is far more reliable than my Mustang Cobra ever was. Very little to break and powertrain is bulletproof so you have my opinion. Road whale v real sports car Hummmm!!! Take the Mustang if you weigh over 200lbs.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I am going to ship the Stang and drive the Elise.
Things to do before I set out on the trip. Replace the radiator this winter and fix the oil cooler lines. I will also have a AAA membership. I do have the shop manuals on my laptop so if I do break down I can either fix it myself or take it to a Toyota dealership. I'll have 30 days transfer leave plus 8 days of travel and proceed. So if I leave here by the end of the first week that gives me 31 days to make it to CA. Now I just have to look at a route.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What does Invictus have? That is a novel idea Notorious. It would save us both on gas. I could also sell my car and buy another one when I get to CA.....

·
Back to the Future, again
6,184 Posts
What does Invictus have? That is a novel idea Notorious. It would save us both on gas. I could also sell my car and buy another one when I get to CA.....
Haha, just a thought.

Invictus has an 05 titanium Elise. If you come to L.A. to buy one, you can always buy my 09, it's for sale.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts