The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many days would it roughly take to drive the Elise from NY to SF, assuming one isn't in too much of a hurry ? :) Trip parameters wide open.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
a week if you want to hit some fun roads and take in the sights..etc.

2 days if you're in a hurry.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What's your purpose?

I have done NY to LA three times-4- 700+mile days--no fun. If the purpose is to get the car to SF, ship it. If you want to enjoy the trip take as much time as you can afford. My other crossings were two weeks and then the country becomes "real". If you do it in four days it will just be a ribbon of concrete. If I were to do it again, I would do it in June to take advantage of the long daylight hours.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How much time and $$$ do you have. What are your interests? Great food? History? What kind of lodging are you looking for? The choices are almost unlimited. Start with time & budget.

·
Registered
356 Posts
What route would you take? I've gone accross on 80 many times, which is uber boring (especially the Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, 1/2 of Utah, and most of nevada part)...90 is more interesting but more indirect...If I was doing it I might drop down and go over 10 through the deep south and over through the south west...

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Nebraska is interesting if you stop at some of the many museums along the way. Wizard of Oz, state, Presidential library... When you have a bit of time the trip can be very interesting independent of the route.

That said consider driving some of the secondary highways. The coast route through Oregon is very nice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Time traveler with tailfins

Today's NY times has a wonderful article on a cross country trip with a 1958 Cadillac convertible. If you love cars, you will love the story.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Official Time is:

31 hours and 4 minutes, stopping only six times.

Done by Alexander Roy.

New York to Los Angeles in Less Than 32 Hours : NPR

Of course, that is to LA and not San Fran. But whatever; It'll probably take about the same time if your travelling from New York.

Google says:
1 Day 22 Hours from Times Square to the Mission District. Basically just Route 80 for 2000 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts