The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought new cobalt XR 2 front pads and XR 3 rear pads for my Elise. Rotor thickness was around 25.2 and I was using RC5+ prior. I just had stainless brake lines installed by a Local Lotus mechanic and did the pads myself. I went to go bed them in a bit even though it says not much is required and rotor does not need to be resurfaced and mechanic agreed. On my second 60-5 braking my wife noticed sparks coming out, so I did it again and saw them too. I pulled over and verified I had not put pads in backwards, did a few medium stops and no ore sparks. Brakes stop fast but is this normal for a new set of Track pads?

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I just bought new cobalt XR 2 front pads and XR 3 rear pads for my Elise. Rotor thickness was around 25.2 and I was using RC5+ prior. I just had stainless brake lines installed by a Local Lotus mechanic and did the pads myself. I went to go bed them in a bit even though it says not much is required and rotor does not need to be resurfaced and mechanic agreed. On my second 60-5 braking my wife noticed sparks coming out, so I did it again and saw them too. I pulled over and verified I had not put pads in backwards, did a few medium stops and no ore sparks. Brakes stop fast but is this normal for a new set of Track pads?
Several videos online showing track pads sparking.

San

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, I've seen many brake dyno tests and tons of sparks on initial break-in period. Pads and rotors are wearing into one another so I'd expect some sparks hard braking. Also those pads may have some metallic material in it so metal on metal contact at high temp, pressure and speed comes into play.

Keep an eye on it, but i think its normal.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just confirmed with the mechanic sparks for these pads is normal until bedded in then the sparks die down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts