The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
iF I have a choice, I want to get rid of this stupid parasitic, brits engineering & battery drainer cobra alarm. Nothing but problems & worse alarm system.
I just want to vent.

.....but thank you for the manual link.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not British, rather Italian.
Michael
iF I have a choice, I want to get rid of this stupid parasitic, brits engineering & battery drainer cobra alarm. Nothing but problems & worse alarm system.
I just want to vent.

.....but thank you for the manual link.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi Michael,
Thanks for all this info.

Question - is there a way to disable the automatic immobilizer for the Esprit's 6422 alarm? I see it in your sig for the Cobra 8186, but I'm not sure if that applies to both or not.

Thanks,

- Kent

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Michael,
Thanks for all this info.

Question - is there a way to disable the automatic immobilizer for the Esprit's 6422 alarm? I see it in your sig for the Cobra 8186, but I'm not sure if that applies to both or not.

Thanks,

- Kent
Hi Kent,
I will find out for you.
Michael

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Hi Kent,
I will find out for you.
Michael
Any news on this Sir?

I see in the manual you can temporarily deactive the auto-arming feature, but because it's temporary, it's even more of an annoyance than dealing with the auto-arm as-is.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Any news on this Sir?

I see in the manual you can temporarily deactive the auto-arming feature, but because it's temporary, it's even more of an annoyance than dealing with the auto-arm as-is.
OK, here it is. The two pair of wires that show "cut" in the wiring diagram, need to be disconnected and spliced together. In other words, the two wires that go to the starter circuit (5 & 12) need to be spliced together. The two wires that go to the ignition circuit ( 1 & 6) need to be wired together. All other wires must remain connected.
Michael

Attachments

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Thanks, Sir Lotus!

So splicing those wires is a way to permanently disable the immoblizer, right?

I would still like to have the immobilizer, I just would like it to only work when I lock the car with the remote as opposed to the system automatically arming the immobilizer after 30-60 seconds when I take the key out of the ignition.

In other words, I would like my Lotus to work like every other car that has an inmobilizer.

Any way to set that config permanently in the alarm module?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks, Sir Lotus!

So splicing those wires is a way to permanently disable the immoblizer, right?

I would still like to have the immobilizer, I just would like it to only work when I lock the car with the remote as opposed to the system automatically arming the immobilizer after 30-60 seconds when I take the key out of the ignition.

In other words, I would like my Lotus to work like every other car that has an inmobilizer.

Any way to set that config permanently in the alarm module?

Thanks!
Yes, making those wiring connections permanently disables the immobilizer.
The immobilizer can be programmed for "active" arming, but it involves removing the unit from the car and sending it to Cobra.

Michael

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Thank you, Michael!

I guess I will just live with it the way it stands. It's a nuisance for a lot of us, but not worth it to me to pull the unit to send to the factory.

You have at least given me closure on the topic.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you, Michael!

I guess I will just live with it the way it stands. It's a nuisance for a lot of us, but not worth it to me to pull the unit to send to the factory.

You have at least given me closure on the topic.
There may be an alternative. That is to switch to the Cobra 8185 that is in the Elise/Exige. I am looking into the practicality of that.
Michael

·
Registered
46 Posts
I could not find anything in here on what to do if you do not have the touch key and you only have one key fob (I only got one key fob when I bought the car). Is there an easy way to program some more fobs without the touch key? Is the touch key unique to each car?

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I could not find anything in here on what to do if you do not have the touch key and you only have one key fob (I only got one key fob when I bought the car). Is there an easy way to program some more fobs without the touch key? Is the touch key unique to each car?
Without a Touch key, no programming can be done. If you want to program more fobs, you need Touch keys programmed into the system. To program a Touch Key, the alarm ECU needs to be removed and sent to me for programming. If you are interested, please contact me.
Michael

·
Registered
21 Posts
does any one know the battery used in the KEY itself, not the KEY FOB?
thanks for the info, and I do agree, the COBRA System drains the battery if not used regularly.... but I would rather have an alarm than not.. when I had my car in storage I disconnected the battary and someone broke my window and tried to steel the radio instead of the car.. sad and stupid theives.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts