The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy who recently had his cams replaced due to wiped cam is now throwing a 1302 and 2646... The car ran good for a few weeks. The cams look fine and the filter looks good for the VVL actuator from what I'm told... I'm not doing the work nor have I seen the parts in question-- all over the phone... Code says the rocker arms are either stuck or has performance issues... the car is not hitting high cam, so all that makes sense...
Before I pull a muscle and think too much about this, thought I'd post up to see if anyone else has seen it in hopes that we can go straight to the source of the problem... It can only be so many things...

Any thoughts?

Phil

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!:up: I don't know how I missed that in the search...:eek: I guess you can putme right up there with ****** #1:panic:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Check that the rocker shafts are positioned correctly. They must be in the right position or the flow of oil will be obstructed and the high cam rockers will not be pressurized.

Ask me how I know LOL.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Unfortunately, I have not been able to twist a wrench on it myself. I'm trying to help remotely right now. The additional ideas are good. Remote diagnosing/repairing can be pretty difficult...

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks. Unfortunately, I have not been able to twist a wrench on it myself. I'm trying to help remotely right now. The additional ideas are good. Remote diagnosing/repairing can be pretty difficult...

Best,

Phil
I think it's a blown fuse (one of the ones on the firewall.) Usually blows if you jump start the car. Hits redline at 6200 and won't rev higher.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the problem...

The dealer royally messed up when intalling the new cams/rockers which I found after taking the valve cover off... Care to venture how they messed up?

Phil

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
When they hired the guy to do the work?

Found the problem...

The dealer royally messed up when intalling the new cams/rockers which I found after taking the valve cover off... Care to venture how they messed up?

Phil

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When they hired the guy to do the work?
:D, that's certainly part of the problem.LOL It was an actual Lotus Dealer in St. Louis that did the work too:crazyeyes

·
Registered
82 Posts
maybe one of these?

1.They either put the rocker arm shafts in the opposite positions (which is not an easy fix so I assume this was not it).
2.They forgot to put the locating bolts back in the rocker shafts.
3.They just forgot to plug the VVT-L solenoid back in(which I doubt because the code would be different but along the same lines.)

EB Turbo

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DRS wins it with number 2:clap:

The intake rocker arm shaft locating bolt was not in the hole... Here's the scary part, I don't know if those clowns forgot to put the bolt in or if the bolt just wasn't tight and came out of the hole. I think it was the latter, as the high cam worked for a while:panic: So if that's the case, where's the bolt! It's no where to be found in the head:crazyeyes:crazyeyes

The rocker shaft had worked it's way out of the head to the point where it was rubbing on the intake timing gear. That was nice:rolleyes:

This is just one more reason I have very little faith in one of our resident Lotus dealers:(

Good job,

Phil

·
Registered
82 Posts
, where's the bolt! It's no where to be found in the head:crazyeyes:crazyeyes
That bolt is a very important part of the VVT-L function. It aligns the oil passageways in the shaft to the rocker arms. If they aren't aligned, no Lift. I have heard of those bolts wearing out on high mileage engines causing the shafts to move a little and then you don't get Lift. nothing to worry about. I only heard of a few cases on very high mileage Toyota cars.

There aren't many big holes in the top of the head for that bolt to fall down. it should be in there somewhere. it might be cocked sideways in one of the oil passage ways.

EB Turbo

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly and good explaination...

However, there's actually a large hold right under that bolt location that would allow it to easily fall into the timing chain area and then it's see ya later bolt:wave: It's hard to impossible to see that drain hole unless the cams are out or the t-chain cover is off engine. The hole is about the size of a silver dollar- plenty big:(

Again, the stealer really screwed the pooch on this one:mad:

Later,

Phil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts