The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will sound strange, but after I installed a Battery Tender jr I started to get these codes after the car sat and charged for a few days. I can reset the codes and it's fine until I hookup the charger again. I drove the car to LOG and had no codes. Over 1000 miles. The car is and "06 Exige with a Blackwatch SC and PES tune. There are no other problems and the car runs great. Any ideas? :shrug:
Gene

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
OK.

Bumping this thread due to throwing a P2122 and P2106 twice.

P2122 Pedal position sensor "D" circuit low
P2106 Throttle Actuator Control System - forced limited power (due to P2122)

Other than tracing out the wiring to find the mouse teeth marks somewhere or replacing the sensor (which apparently is part of the entire throttle pedal unit), what am I missing?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am getting both of these too, and I am on a battery tender, too. It just started happening recently. The car does run a little rough, and goes into limp mode (cant rev past 4000 rpm).

Help!

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I've never gotten limp mode but the throttle actuator control system does limit my opening to 15%.

So far I have traced every wire to the pedal harness and have no low voltages, etc. the only thing that I haven't done is change out the pedal assembly. I've even swapped ECUs... not that I expected that to do anything.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
The stupid throttle position sensors are 2 potentiometers in the pedal assembly... I haven't taken the assembly off and apart yet but it appears from my upside down on my head in a tight spot look up at it that it may not come apart to replace just the potentiometers...

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
again, the tps is part of the pedal assembly and doesn't appear to be "swappable" unless, which is entirely possible, I have missed something. I haven't taken it out of the car yet.. just got contorted into the driver's footwell to take a peak at removing the pedal.

EDIT: I had tried to find just the TPS part number but just kept coming up with the entire pedal assembly... ~$180. That's one of the reasons I don't think just the TPS can be swapped.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Gotcha, our posts crossed :)

Did a little googling, and it appears that someone solved the issue with some special grease on the ecu connectors, and another took it to the dealer for a special reflash of the ecu, which apparently fixed it as well.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
:wallbang:

This code is *$(@#[email protected]#)*$%!*&^@%#(&$^)@#*&$%^@!^(&*$&#@$ killing me.

2122 Throttle Position Sensor/Pedal Position Sensor D circuit low.
2106 - secondary code due to 2122.

For the life of me I can not figure out what the problem is.

I have ECU software version C121E0010HMY07.

Anyone know if that is the "bad" version that needs to be reflashed?

The only things that I haven't done so far (that I can think of) are replace the PPS (in the pedal assembly) for $224 and/or replace the TPS (which is part of the DBW throttle body) for $1466. :wallbang:

Stupid DBW...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Me too... I rather not swap parts out not knowing if it'll fix the problem or not, but not sure if I have a more economical choice.

·
Registered
419 Posts
argh I have these codes now. Put my power didnt die and I was able to go to redline.

RoadDad, have you done anything more?

The other thread on these codes indicates a reflash may do the trick?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
My code seemed to be very intermittent. It would come for 3 -5 days and then disappear for a few weeks and then return with a vengeance and then go to the Caymans for a month.

I hooked a scanner to the car and recorded all data available for a few weeks. At first when I hooked it up the code wouldn't come back then eventually it returned. Looking at the logged data, there was absolutely no change in parameters prior to, during or after the code was triggered.

I changed ECUs (another stock ECU) and repeated the same logging with the same results.

I have cleaned all electrical connections even remotely associated with the PPS and TPS. I have cleaned the MAF, the throttle body (at T.J.'s suggestion I took it back off and cleaned it well with a soft bristle brush concentrating on the butterfly), the air box and filter, the key fob and key itself, the bottoms of my shoes and my kid's rearmost molars. None of it seemed to keep the code away. I cussed really loudly at the car one late evening and threatened to kick the sheet out of both the electrical and mechanical systems of the car and to try to roll the fenders again. The code cleared itself the next time I started the car.

I got a postcard from P2122 that said it's still hanging out in south France but plans on returning at some point in the near future.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It's time for an update...

So I purchased a bunch of stuff to get ready to start battling this, but before I got started, I decided to clean my air filter (K&N) and clean the MAF sensor, just in case it was something simple. I also removed and reconnected the sensors, in case it was just a loose connection.

Anyway, once I did that, I let the car come up to temp, and see if I can rev past 4000 rpm. Guess what? It did. I took it for a few runs, and was able to get on 2nd cam without issues.

The one thing I remember was that the last time I got the code, I had let the car sit for about 3 weeks without plugging in the battery tender. The car did start, so I didn't think anything of it... but it's possible that the issue was just low battery voltage?

I'll report back if the CEL come back..

Good luck guys!

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Mine had absolutely nothing to do with low battery voltage... 13V at the time.

I did get another postcard from P2122 saying that it was in St. Lucia testing out honeymoon locations for plastique999 but is still planning on returning at some point.

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
My code seemed to be very intermittent. It would come for 3 -5 days and then disappear for a few weeks and then return with a vengeance and then go to the Caymans for a month.
so, your Porsche-owning neighbors don't get upset??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts