The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a check engine light

Anyone in the LA area preferably in the near San Fernando Valley have a code reader i can borrow.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Go to any kragen Autozones and they will let you borrow one. It won't tell you what the code means , but you will get the code.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to any kragen Autozones and they will let you borrow one. It won't tell you what the code means , but you will get the code.
Yea, stupid California all the mechanics got together and complained to the congressman or whatever. Its now the law that autozone can not rent out the readers because mechanics are loosing money.

I know about the rental system, i have used it many many times.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Unless things have changed in the last 6 months. I drove my car there and gave them my drivers license. Took the reader to the car in the parking lot got the code, gave back the reader, got my license back and was done.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was changed a month and a half ago. I ended up buying a reader so thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I just google searched this topic and found the same issue on other car forums. Anyone got a link on the actual legislation?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just google searched this topic and found the same issue on other car forums. Anyone got a link on the actual legislation?
Ill ask next time im there, but why would they lie. Its a great service that autozone is offering, it keeps me going back to get parts from them.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
If they did in fact ban the loaning of ODB-II scanners (and I don't doubt that they did), I doubt it was because of mechanics complaining about lost business.

I'd bet the reason had to do with the EPA and CARB - Too many people probably tried to clear the code and pass the emission tests without actually fixing any problems. That would be a reason that they would use to prevent people from using the scanners

If the mechanics had wanted it, SEMA and other organizations would have been all over it trying to block it. I'm surprised they didn't do it anyway.

Of course it could also be that Autozone stopped doing it for worries of liabilities, etc. and there isn't any law at all. It's just easy to tell people that instead...

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
it was changed a month and a half ago. I ended up buying a reader so thanks for the help.
I went into Autozone a week and a half ago and they lent me one. Pico and La Cienega.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts