The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at an Elise which the owner claimed had a upgraded Lotus supplied ECU. He said it switched valve timing earlier than the original ECU. When I looked at the car a brought my generic OBDii reader (Launch Millennium 90 pro). The scanner could not connect to the car through the OBDii port. It gave me pause since annual NYS inspection requires the State to read that there are no codes and the ODB says the cars emissions are still functioning.

So do I have the wrong reader or was something wrong with the car? He did have some electrical issues which his shop had difficulty in tracking down (new fuel pump, new engine harness).

·
Administrator
13,522 Posts
I looked at an Elise which the owner claimed had a upgraded Lotus supplied ECU. He said it switched valve timing earlier than the original ECU. When I looked at the car a brought my generic OBDii reader (Launch Millennium 90 pro). The scanner could not connect to the car through the OBDii port. It gave me pause since annual NYS inspection requires the State to read that there are no codes and the ODB says the cars emissions are still functioning.

So do I have the wrong reader or was something wrong with the car? He did have some electrical issues which his shop had difficulty in tracking down (new fuel pump, new engine harness).
With NY you have to call and get passed. Let me see if I can find thread for you

·
Administrator
13,522 Posts
Do you have OEM dash instrument cluster? One of the aftermarket ones you have to select an option for OBD to work. Here's NY Inspection thread info within Failed NY State Inspection

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Catsailr27.

So how would I read codes or live data from the ECU? I do all my own work and the ability to read fuel trims and use OBD bi-directional controls simplifies the troubleshooting process.

·
Administrator
13,522 Posts
Thanks Catsailr27.

So how would I read codes or live data from the ECU? I do all my own work and the ability to read fuel trims and use OBD bi-directional controls simplifies the troubleshooting process.
Most code readers work fine. Do you have stock dash?

·
Administrator
13,522 Posts
There have been some ECU that after tuning no longer will work with OBD reader. Here's some of the many threads on this. Try borrowing another reader some auto parts stores will read for free.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not yet purchased an Elise. The car I was looking at had an aftermarket ECU. Supposedly installed by a local Lotus dealer years ago. The fact that the code reader I use for all my cars did not work raised questions in my mind as to how I would maintain the car and how NYS would perform the inspection. You've answered the NYS inspection question. Now I need to try my reader on another car that is stock and/or find a reader that will work on the Elise.

I'll start searching the forums to see what I find. Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
13,522 Posts
I have not yet purchased an Elise. The car I was looking at had an aftermarket ECU. Supposedly installed by a local Lotus dealer years ago. The fact that the code reader I use for all my cars did not work raised questions in my mind as to how I would maintain the car and how NYS would perform the inspection. You've answered the NYS inspection question. Now I need to try my reader on another car that is stock and/or find a reader that will work on the Elise.

I'll start searching the forums to see what I find. Thanks for your help.
Ok when you said "upgraded Lotus supplied ECU" I thought it was a tuned OEM ECU. Standalone won't work with OBD readers you might have issues with that. Maybe NY guys could chime in.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I've been searching the forums and it seems its a mixed bag on the readers working for earlier cars. Some cars read and others do not. No real rhyme or reason. I'll see how my reader works on the next car I look at.

·
Administrator
13,522 Posts
Thanks. I've been searching the forums and it seems its a mixed bag on the readers working for earlier cars. Some cars read and others do not. No real rhyme or reason. I'll see how my reader works on the next car I look at.
[/QUOTE ]OBD reader won't work at all with standalone ECU.
If you are purchasing a Lotus it can't be stressed enough about getting a proper PPI. It's much more entailed than looking for codes. Look for Lotus dealer/indie or euro shop and ask about getting PPI. Be sure to have your intake cam checked and compression read.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts