The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the coefficient of drag for the US Elise or any other version?

I would think with the smooth body work and smooth undercarriage, it should be pretty low. But then again, they designed it to get a little downforce at speed, which would increase the drag a little.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
It's a roadster... with the top down or even soft-top on, drag will be higher than it could be. It's also not a slant-back. There will be some turbulance behind the back window causing drag. Exige would probably have lower drag... even with the wing.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
transio said:
Exige would probably have lower drag... even with the wing.
Not a chance. At least when comparing the S1 models. Maybe meat can let us know, but I believe the S190s always had better top end acceleration.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks darkSol. That seems a little higher than I expected, but I guess as transio points out it's not quite as aerodynamic as I thought.

However, the Exige with the same engine has a 3mph lower drag limited top speed, leading me to believe it has a little bit higher drag coefficient. But that makes sense to me, because in order to get more downforce you have to get a little more drag.

For those who don't know: In aerodynamics they call it the lift coeffidient, the ratio of lift to drag. And the influence of drag through a fluid, aka air, has a squarred proportion to speed. So, 140 mph has 4 times the drag of 70 mph. These equations are not fool-proof, they are just easy estimates, similar to f = m * a. (By the way, I was studing to be an aerospace engineer before I switched to computer engineering. I'm kind of suprised this information ever became useful)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts