The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I was wondering?

The car that I purchased from a distance will be delivered here on Sunday. It was supposed to be delivered here on Saturday. The Trailer was only available in the afternoon Saturday.
No big deal at all.

Saturday was to be about 0 degrees celsius.

I'm just a bit worried (paranoid) about the outside temperature upon delivery on Sunday. It's supposed to be about minus 8 degrees.
Is there any problem you can forecast starting the car at these colder temperatures?
Thank You.
What is the coldest outside temp you will drive your car provided the roads are fine?

·
Premium Member
12,145 Posts
This is not a big problem. Think how many cars every hour are started in very cold temps.

Not Esprit-specific, but warm up the engine for 2 minutes or so. The drivetrain is not warmed by idling, so drive slowly until everything (!) is heated up.

Note, tho, that fiberglass is generally much more fragile in really low temps.

Try not to hit anything....

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
This is not a big problem. Think how many cars every hour are started in very cold temps.

Not Esprit-specific, but warm up the engine for 2 minutes or so. The drivetrain is not warmed by idling, so drive slowly until everything (!) is heated up.

Note, tho, that fiberglass is generally much more fragile in really low temps.

Try not to hit anything....
+1
I was thinking what glb said. I'd be more worried about spider cracking in the fiberglass. All you need to do is hit a pothole with frozen, brittle fiberglass. ❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
913 Posts
Be sure to check your antifreeze mixture if the car is coming from a hot to a cold climate. So if you let the car sit outside it does not freeze, that could be disasterous. The reason I say this is, I have a big work truck I let sit outside and don't use often, and we have had colder than normal temps around zero this past week, I thought to pull the radiator cap and it was slushy, I mean like a slurpee slushie, I mix it 50/50 usually. I started it to thaw it, and drained and added fluid to a more 75/25 as to keep it thawed and unslushie.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am just worried from Trailer to Garage.
I didn't even think of the body...I should know better than that.
And I will check the Antifreeze.
Thanks Fellas.
Whoops..and possibly one girl?

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
I am just worried from Trailer to Garage.
I didn't even think of the body...I should know better than that.
And I will check the Antifreeze.
Thanks Fellas.
Whoops..and possibly one girl?
That girls name is Mark. So....you decide. Lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
576 Posts
Try to find out what kind of oil is in the car. You don't want to be starting a motor with 20-50 oil in those temps, unless you have a way to heat the sump ahead of time.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
I'm glad oil was finally mentioned. It would be good if it were filled w/10w-60 Castrol or 5w-50 Mobil 1 (good for their zddp content too) and since the car is coming from the same region it might be. Many other 5w's & 10w's go to only 40 wgt and that's too thin for the turbo temps so I'd wouldn't expect that to be in the car. 0w-40's aren't good for Esprit's. A 20w-50 as has been mentioned is challenged by 0 degrees C (man that's cold) at start-up. If those temps are typical for you this time of year get an electric dipstick to warm up the oil in the sump. I never had to use one but never heard a complaint about one.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
Mike, are you just planning to drive from the transporter to the garage, or take the car for a shake-down trip to assure that things work?

I've driven my Esprit in cold weather (same as your forecast) with no issues (but yes, I avoid potholes).

Sometimes I have to leave my Esprit outside for several hours in really cold weather when I am working on my daily drivers and need the 4 post lift in my garage. The starter really strains turning that thick oil, but once it starts it's fine.

Just to build on what everyone else said, you cannot rely on coolant temp to assess "warmed up". With the thicker oil that this engine uses (usually 20W-50) you need to drive gently for at least 10 - 15 miles (15 to 20 km) at those temps before checking out the full-throttle turbo boost... :D

·
Premium Member
12,145 Posts
In really cold weather, put the clutch in before cranking, so you're not also turning any transmission parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts