The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Cold Start High Revs Exige S

7K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  LBC111 
#1 ·
Starting my Exige from a cold start it starts instantly but revs to 3000rpm without any throttle input. This can't be good for the engine. Dealer reprogramed but no change in starting. Any suggestions?

Thanks

#5 ·
Hight rev with cold start

Charlie

If it was a manifold/vacuum leak wouldn't I have probs at other times? I only have a prob when starting the car cold. No problem when warm, although would be less worisome with the car warm anyway. I did not see similar probs in when searched "high idle"
Thanks for your input.

David

#9 ·
Mine does exactly the same thing and has since it was new. Happens when less than about 40 F.

I've turned the car on and let the fuel pump come up to pressure and left it there for several seconds before punching the button and this seems to decrease the RPM it goes to.

I've been told that this is for emissions. I agree that it is certainly not good for the motor.

#12 ·
Mine does it as well...2007 Exige S.

I have a tendency to run the ignition on, wait a few sec's for the fuel pump et al to come on...then bump it....

Revs over 1K at start...and fluctuates a bit..but, have not hit the 3k mark yet....

Still seems a bit high, and knowing Lotus factory....it will take a dealer trip or two to work out....(oh joy!)

2007 Aspen White Exige S (this time around!)

#14 ·
Yep, my 2007 Exige S does this also and I'm not using the Stock ECU, I've got the FF EFI power package setup.

I've been told this is normal, I've been this is NOT normal. It doesn't always do it either. Sometimes it's 1500-2000, sometimes it's 3000, sometimes it's 1000. If this were a vacuum leak it would be consistantly doing the same thing every time. So I don't think it is vacuum related.

I believe the only significant input going to my stand alone EFI is the throttle position -- FF/Casey feel free to correct me.

From the rumor mill, the fly by wire throttle unit used in the Lotus (or at least in the '07 Exige) is not of very good quality -- I can't confirm nor deny this as I just don't know. But during my dyno tuning the throttle position indicator was fluctuating pretty significantly with NO one in the car. I believe Casey tried to compensate for this fluctuation -- not exactly sure how.

It will be interesting to see if the '08's have the same problem -- anyone called a Lotus dealer to get part numbers of the throttle units for '07 and '08 Exige S?

#17 ·
Hmmm.. Mine seems to vary quite a bit also.

#18 ·
I have a '08 S240 and it idles ~1k until it warms up and goes down to ~800ish. However, when I drive the car in a traffic and have to push the clutch in to stop at low speed on 1st gear, the engine revs itself to 1500~2000rpm with no gas input... is this normal?
Also, the car dies on stop sometimes; it idles roughly and shuts off without any reason ... after driving for a while its doing it less but it still does.
Do I need a reflash from the dealer?... or is there one for S240?:shrug:

#24 ·
Hey Eric,

I have the same problem on my 07. My car was actually idling at 3k rpms a few weeks ago. I brought it to the dealer and after a few days of driving their Ford Taurus (loaner car), they told they could not duplicate the problem. When I picked up the car, it was idling at 1k. I asked them what did they do; and all they did was disconnect the battery because they didn't have time to look at the car. I guess that disconnected battery reset the ECU?

#19 ·
Ugh, looks like Lotus need to address this in a big way.

And please nor more BS about the type of fuel used, etc. etc. Lets get the to the real reason this is happening and IF a solution is doable.

I still maintain it is the throttle sensor or something related that is causing this problem.

#21 ·
After finding out how many times Lotus have been bought and sold over the years and now finally have some "solid" financial backing (well as solid as current economic situaiton can be), one would think this issue would be acknowledged and resolved.

But as with all things that need to be fixed, it would appear Lotus don't share the same belief that many folks are reporting almost the exact same issue. This is unfortunate as it deters from what is a brilliantly designed car, just some obvious implementation issues or quality control issue that are highly visible day to day and to be honest shouldn't exist in $70,000 car. Not that $70K+ cars don't have issues, but the basic and obvious stuff like this should be sorted. Given that this issue doesn't appear to be affecting everyone (or atleast not everyone is as concerned), I'm gonna assume this is a batch problem and not a design flaw.

But who are you gonna call? If you have a hot line or contact that is willing to listen and look into this problem beyond "it must be bad gas", then please do fill me in. Obviously I'm not getting thru to the correct folks at Lotus, but would be more than willing to document this issue and even provide my car to them for analysis. I'm almost 99.5% certain they either got a bad batch of throttle by wire units (a simple volt meter test can demonstrate this) or they're just using a poor quality unit.

I'm going to write a letter (the old fashion way) with my documented throttle output readings, but I don't have much faith this will go anywhere. I'd hate to see this issue go the way of legal action (aka lawyers) as that does NO ONE any good except the lawyers.

Rob

#22 ·
Rob,

Contact me off the grid and I can give you a POC at Lotus Factory to address your issue to. I just ask that you not tell them where you got their contact information, or refer to me as the source.....(As I am currently under a legal binder as not to besmirch Lotus in any way..blah blah blah...) Anyway, I have a new Exige S and am having SAME issue as well..

#27 ·
Hopefully soon, I'll have an EFI throttle by wire system (hooked up to my EFI engine control unit) to replace the lotus system and will have complete control over the car's parameters and what the engine will and will not do. :)

#28 ·
Mine started so slowly a few days ago I thought I damaged something. Most of the time it starts and revs to 2K then settles to under 1K. Sometimes it starts and shoots up past 3K and comes down. When warm outside, and after the engine heats up, at a stop, it will sometimes fluctuate between 3K and 800 several times before finally dying. I didn't have this problem with the original ECU that was reflashed (which I still have), but I do have the problem with the upgraded ECU.

#30 ·
My theory which I hope to confirm soon -- these issues that many 07 and 08 folks are having are all to do with the Throttle by Wire system.

1. I can't believe everyone is having a vacuum leak
2. gotham, stock, EFI, reflashed, etc. all have this problem
3. confirmed output from the throttle by wire system fluctuates wildly (which in turn can cause strange learning behavior by any ECU, stock or aftermarket)
4. not everyone has this problem (but many do)

Like I said, I hope to get this confirmed and resolved soon with EFI's throttle by wire replacement. Stay tuned...

#31 ·
wow this really is like an out of the box race car... all my other ECU tuned cars idle fluctuate depending on weather, fuel... i hope mine doesn't get a case of the chills also.

Do you guys notice anything different with AC on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.