great video thanx for sharing

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Makes him out to be quite the scumbag

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Great show,it's funny how some things never change I.E. things falling off..carl

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Makes him out to be quite the scumbag

It would be hard to make an honest documentary that didn't mention his flexible ethics. If nothing else, he 'disappeared' millions of dollars of public money and likely would have faced a long prison sentence had he not died.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It would be hard to make an honest documentary that didn't mention his flexible ethics. If nothing else, he 'disappeared' millions of dollars of public money and likely would have faced a long prison sentence had he not died.
Agreed.
Seems like he got cocky after being so successful bending the rules.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Thanks for posting, I love all the great footage and photos of those early days, and hearing Chapman speak in his own words.

After having read Jabbie Crombach's authorized biography of the man, it definitely puts Chapman in a bit of a different light, for sure. Now I guess I'll have to locate and read the "other" biography, Troubled Genius.

Seeing Sterling Moss recount the story of the birthday cake (which is in Crombach's book as well) was really something. And of course the footage of Jim Clark, tremendous.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I can't believe how little he cared about his drivers. Except Jim Clark!

Lightness is important but using paper as the firewall, that’s just crazy! Honestly, how much more would have an aluminum piece weighed?

I’m surprised anybody wanted to drive for him. Granted Grand Prix racing, or motoring racing of any kind in those days wasn’t safe at all, but when you’re cutting corners to that extreme, that’s just a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I can't believe how little he cared about his drivers. Except Jim Clark!

Lightness is important but using paper as the firewall, that’s just crazy! Honestly, how much more would have an aluminum piece weighed?

I’m surprised anybody wanted to drive for him. Granted Grand Prix racing, or motoring racing of any kind in those days wasn’t safe at all, but when you’re cutting corners to that extreme, that’s just a recipe for disaster.
Yeah, the paper thing sounds like something out of a Monty Python sketch, doesnt' it ? I'm imagining John Cleese trying to convince the officials that the paper is perfectly safe....rotfl

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You can't get away from "flawed" - but "scumbag" is a bit strong.
The premise of this documentary series was to focus on the "dark side" of its subjects.

As a society we often make allowances for our "geniuses" - perhaps if he had been an "artist" rather than an "engineer" a lot of his "foibles" would have been readily accepted.

Even among his contemporaries he was hardly unique.
That nice Mr. Ferrari had two families in the same village and regarded his drivers as unfortunate necessities.

Why did drivers drive for him? Because his cars were quick. In those days a driver knew there was a ridiculously (by today's standards) high chance of ending the day on a mortuary slab. You might as well be killed in a car capable of winning....

He was never a particularly "nice guy".
He became a financial crook.
There are thousands of people like that - politicians, presidents even, CEOs of companies like Enron, you name it.

He knew he was a brilliant engineer - but - unlike an artist who just needs paint and brushes - he needed money to keep his company in business - and the time he spent chasing cash must have made him a frustrated and bitter man.

I know a little about those pressures - so I'll cut him some slack.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You can't get away from "flawed" - but "scumbag" is a bit strong.
The premise of this documentary series was to focus on the "dark side" of its subjects.

As a society we often make allowances for our "geniuses" - perhaps if he had been an "artist" rather than an "engineer" a lot of his "foibles" would have been readily accepted.

Even among his contemporaries he was hardly unique.
That nice Mr. Ferrari had two families in the same village and regarded his drivers as unfortunate necessities.

Why did drivers drive for him? Because his cars were quick. In those days a driver knew there was a ridiculously (by today's standards) high chance of ending the day on a mortuary slab. You might as well be killed in a car capable of winning....

He was never a particularly "nice guy".
He became a financial crook.
There are thousands of people like that - politicians, presidents even, CEOs of companies like Enron, you name it.

He knew he was a brilliant engineer - but - unlike an artist who just needs paint and brushes - he needed money to keep his company in business - and the time he spent chasing cash must have made him a frustrated and bitter man.

I know a little about those pressures - so I'll cut him some slack.
I’m not disagreeing with you about Enzo Ferrari. From what I’ve read, he seems to be a bigger a$$ than Colin Chapman. In fact if Enzo wasn’t such an a$$, Lamborghini would never have gotten into the sports car business.

But come on, paper as a firewall! Give me a break!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I’m not disagreeing with you about Enzo Ferrari. From what I’ve read, he seems to be a bigger a$$ than Colin Chapman.
the one thing that counters the image from that film (and that you interpret as him being an a$$ is that people that worked for Colin were fiercely loyal to him. People that are a$$es seldom earn loyalty from people.

But come on, paper as a firewall! Give me a break!
You have to take it context. I don't know what the rule was about, but consider that most (all?) the F1 car constructors were good at twisting the rules for an advantage - Colin was just better at it than the others.

He was trying to get past some rule, perhaps because it was stupid. For instance (not knowing what car is was even about), my Lotus - 20 race car had a seat that was actually the gas tank - yes, the "molded" bucket was the top of the tank. The front of the engine (including the spinning crank) was just inches behind that tank. I don't remember if there was an actual fire wall there, but it would have been difficult to put one there, shaping it around all the tubes of the chassis. Besides, how much safety would a thin sheet of aluminum provide considering the driver was literally sitting "in" the gas tank?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I think one thing most of us would agree on is that those were very different times - in some ways I'm glad of that, in other ways, not so much.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts