The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Smokin Orange,

You pull/tow your Harbor Freight, 3-ton, Low Profile Floor Jack behind the vehicle using a grade 100 stainless steel chain. Make sure the heavy duty chain is attached to the rear, MSA approved, 6mm racing steel tow hook/bracket. Mount the 60 gallon, vertical, single-stage air compressor to the Lotus Elise boot top using the appropriate hardware and OEM bonding material/glue. A flexible, 3-prong, 16AWG, 300 feet, all weather outdoor extension cord should be stored inside the boot with the RARE COLLAPSIBLE SPARE TIRE. Lotus recommends using the carbon fiber CF-300 extension cord reel for lightness. I hope my MODIFICATION and INFORMATION helps. LOL

DISCLAIMER - COMEDIAN ON BOARD - DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS MODIFICATION!

Now being totally serious, if I had the money, I'd buy this rare collapsible spare tire in a heartbeat. As SirLotus stated, they're only 4 known collapsible Spare Tires in existence. GLWS

Attachments

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
For those of you using @SirLotus’ for sale thread as the occasion for scribbling on the bathroom wall, carrying an air compressor and jack is easily accomplished in an Elise or Exige. On long road trips, I stow a scissor jack like this one behind the driver’s seat along with a 12V air compressor like this. Neither item is very heavy and the air compressor - I always have one of these in each of four vehicles - will inflate my Porsche collapsible spare in about 10 minutes (I had to use mine once).

There aren’t too many good choices for lightweight jacks that will lift an Elige high enough to access a tire. One jack I may get in the future is the aluminum scissor jack out of a Porsche 944. It has a dimple on top to match the receiver jacking points, so to use one on an Elise would take an adapter to make a flat surface.

Glen

·
Registered
294 Posts
Definitely a piece of mind for 'longer trips. I didn't know it even existed outside the gen1 NSX.
Actually, collapsible spare tires date back to 1967 when they were introduced and made standard on early Pontiac Firebirds, optional on Camaros and other cars.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glenn,

My post was non-harmful entertainment. Everyone knows that the Lotus Elise/Exige was not originally designed to cary a spare tire in its boot. Hence, the installation of the Holts Tyre Weld Emergency Puncture Repair Can that’s factory mounted in the Lotus Elise/Exige boot.

It’s AWSOME that a Lotus Member/Engineer came up with a collapsible spare tire modification for a Lotus Elise to solve a spare tire issue. Regarding SirLotus's post, some questions have been asked on how to fill a collapsible tire & place a low profile jack inside a street legal track car with limited boot space. Now that’s humorous to ME! Just like getting into/out of a Lotus Elise/Exige gracefully. IT’S A TINY LOTUS!

Please note, I’ve never owned a Porsche or have seen a collapsible spare tire. I own a Lotus Elise. I’m guessing your Porsche was designed to safely carry a collapsible spare tire, jack, and compressor on board. Thank you for explaining to me on how it can be done safely with the Lotus Elise/Exige for daily driving. I do appreciate it. I also apologize to you, SirLotus, or anyone else who finds my post offensive regarding a collapsible spare tire modification that's not OEM, something I didn’t understand, something I find very humorous, but something I'd love to own/have. Like I said in a previous post, I'd buy this in a heartbeat if I had the extra money. Having a rare collapsible spare tire would be cool. Only 4 known to exist for a Lotus Elise?

·
Registered
32 Posts
NEW MODIFICATIONS - Never Get Stuck On The Road or Track Again!

Koko you bafoon! The compressor mounts horizontally and across the rear clam which provides an additional 50lbs of down force. You must not have read the TSP....
RizzyDee,
I am a Trailer Park Legend. I read the (TSP) Trailer Set-Up Part. I just needed one of those brain learnin experiences again on getting more downforce & horizontal tank.

This post gets 50 SMILES per gallon. :smile2:

DISCLAIMER - COMEDIAN ON BOARD - DO NOT ATTEMP ANY OF MY MODIFICATIONS - FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
For those of you using @SirLotus’ for sale thread as the occasion for scribbling on the bathroom wall, carrying an air compressor and jack is easily accomplished in an Elise or Exige. On long road trips, I stow a scissor jack like this one behind the driver’s seat along with a 12V air compressor like this. Neither item is very heavy and the air compressor - I always have one of these in each of four vehicles - will inflate my Porsche collapsible spare in about 10 minutes (I had to use mine once).

There aren’t too many good choices for lightweight jacks that will lift an Elige high enough to access a tire. One jack I may get in the future is the aluminum scissor jack out of a Porsche 944. It has a dimple on top to match the receiver jacking points, so to use one on an Elise would take an adapter to make a flat surface.

Glen
>>the aluminum scissor jack out of a Porsche 944
THIS ONE. I can confirm it does the job (tested). I have one and carry it in the Elise full time. It is unbelievably light and compact. I had to adapt a hock puck to overlay the P-car notch, but it is a perfect solution.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Actually, collapsible spare tires date back to 1967 when they were introduced and made standard on early Pontiac Firebirds, optional on Camaros and other cars.
I believe even earlier. Appeared in '66 Mustang (fastback)and early 60's Chryslers (among a lot of other--AMC (AMX) and even Lincolns). The 'Collapse' spare was still being deployed in modern cars at least as recent as 3-4 years ago.
If i were truly concerned/motivated (NOT), I'd find a donut spare and a wheel-hub pattern adapter/spacer. That thought went away 5 or 6 problem-free cross country trips ago.

No matter. I always thought it was a cool bit of engineering (and damn thankful I never had to use it on my Mach 1).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I believe even earlier. Appeared in '66 Mustang (fastback)and early 60's Chryslers (among a lot of other--AMC (AMX) and even Lincolns). The 'Collapse' spare was still being deployed in modern cars at least as recent as 3-4 years ago.
If i were truly concerned/motivated (NOT), I'd find a donut spare and a wheel-hub pattern adapter/spacer. That thought went away 5 or 6 problem-free cross country trips ago.

No matter. I always thought it was a cool bit of engineering (and damn thankful I never had to use it on my Mach 1).

ML1Media,

I believe your right. I found this collapsible spare tire picture on a Vintage Mustang Forum. It was titled "Space Saver Spare." It dates back to the 60's. The RED tire inflator looks like an older version of a Tyre Weld or a Fix-A-Flat Sealer.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts