The Lotus Cars Community banner

Which car will hold its value best?

• Exige S Club Racer (limited production of 20)

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • Exige 240S

Votes: 24 49.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so the answer is it depends. But bare with me.

I am looking at upgrading with a newer Lotus sometime in the next year after the 2009's come out. I am looking at 2 cars to upgrade to.

1. Exige S Club Racer (limited to 20 production)
2. Exige 240S

Question: If you were to bet on one fo the two above, which would you pick? to hold their value.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Neither if I'm going to the track.

Take the 240. Isn't "Club Racer" just a nasty pale blue paint job?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure I will sell the Exige I have. So that would solve my track problem. The club racer is an Exige S with a 6pt harness in the driver's seat, a 4pt in the passenger seat, and a few other goodies. It does have the blue paint with black stripe that you talk about.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
For holding value, neither. Lotus has a long history of putting out special run of '20' or '50' of something, and generally none really hold value too much compared to their contemporaries, at least not enough to offset if you'd rather have another car.

Example, the street version of the X180R Esprit was a run of 20, and while they are not cheap when they do show up on the market, they are not all that expensive either.

If one really puts his/her mind to it, you could probably come up with maybe a dozen different Lotus models that had a run of 20 or 50...just with the Elige...the Club Racer, the Lotus Sport Elise, the Type 72D (and no doubt there will be more)...with the Esprit there was the X180R, the Jim Clark Edition, some anniversary edition that was in pearlescent white...

Just get the one you want.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
the 240 is very limited as well. Much less than the 07 exige S.

I would get the 240s.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hmm.... Let's see..... Extra performance.... or....Limited edition faded blue paint job?............

I'll take the 240.

Value in the eyes of Lotus is different than the value in the eyes of the potential buyer.

IMO...Club racer stands to depreciate just as fast as a regular Exige. The exclusiveness is paid as markup but the resale will be the same.

Top that off with trying to increase your aftermarket sale with the "Club Racer" as justification for the higher price. The demographics for potential buyers is even smaller....

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
The club racer is an Exige S with a 6pt harness in the driver's seat, a 4pt in the passenger seat, and a few other goodies. It does have the blue paint with black stripe that you talk about.
there are a few threads about the club racer - it does not have a 6 point. it comes with a harness bar installed, and 4 points in the trunk.

it is an "08 exige s non-touring" so the 08 interior upgrades + custom alcantara interior, track pack w/ big brakes, no 08 traction control, with 07 roof/intercooler/drivetrain and pressuambly ecu.

get the club racer! its way cool !!

so think of it as a 240 without touring pack but with the 07 drive train but with all the CR goodies (paint, interior, driving lights, 4pt harnesses,).

no lotus is "collectable" unless someone won an grand prix in it... its just a car, it will depreciate just like any other elise/exige will.

personally i think after a long bit of time the early '05's will be the most desirable :)

you will love either one! can't go wrong - but the club racer is much cooler IMO! ...lotus is allbout throwing together whatever is laying around into the best hand built thingy - so club racer is the shnizzle !!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there are a few threads about the club racer - it does not have a 6 point. it comes with a harness bar installed, and 4 points in the trunk.

You are correct, the CR does not have a harness installed. The car with teh 6pt and 4pt is the Cup 255.

BTW, I do not know if Lotus would sell the 6pt seat setup, but I am sure they woul dbe happy to answer the question if you gave them a call.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no lotus is "collectable" unless someone won an grand prix in it... its just a car, it will depreciate just like any other elise/exige will.
You are correct, but I would push back a little on this point. The Lotus Elan 26R S I and S II convertible iare selling between $90,000 and $125,000 this past year. They made 97.

The Lotus Europa 47 coupe is selling for $65,000 to $85,000 this year. They made 55.

I admit though, that if a car has a race heritage, it will be worth far more than those that are not. I think the real gem is if a make/model is raced and is successful. Like the Elan and Europa I mentioned above. If these two cars were never available for sale in road going trim, please let me know. That would be interesting.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
But the Club Racers blue is now available on all Exige S's (220 and 240). So I think other than the graphics (center strip and side graphics and logos) the exclusivity has been diminished. You can order a 240 S with stripes in the same blue and it will be more of a car and, perhaps, just as exclusive.

The Club Racers interior is nice but its cost is right up there with the 240 so I wouldn't say it is a fair trade off.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
thoose are factory race cars? would the cup cars be "comparable" in that case? but are the cup cars actaully used as factory race car? i dunno? so thats why i am curious to know!

one other thing to consider is that the limited 20 for the CR is only the US delivery - there is are more CR's made for other markets - but i don;t know the total #'s - some not yet dead brain cell makes me want to say something around 60 total world wide?

well anyways... my thoughts on colectable value (for the most part) is that there is a time when a car becomes justa used car (cheap) which was sometime between being new (expensive) and collectible (outragous!) case in point any of the myrid muscel car - whoda thunk it!

so in this context - i really have to say neither car... because neither is specifically unique in that regard ...i would be more tempted to go... say... cup car, or even more so 2/11

my useless guess is both (240 - cr) will depreiciate the same over the next 1-8 years, then stay flat - then maybe after 30 years?? i dunno? i would think the truely specialty cars would be collectible like the 2/11 :shrug: but i guess it really comes down to impact in the world? race wins, major cultural adoption, that kinda stuff.

i am not sure - but i believe Lotus is not factory backing any car types right now?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
You are correct, but I would push back a little on this point. The Lotus Elan 26R S I and S II convertible iare selling between $90,000 and $125,000 this past year. They made 97.
Yeah, but those were hard-core, highly successful, still competitive race cars from the glory days of Lotus. These 'special editions' Lotus cranks out these days are attractive enough, but really, they're just optioned-up, stickered and striped street cars. Like the Levi's Gremlin.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
What does a Levi's Gremlin sell for these days? Can you imagine if a pristine Levi's Gremlin showed up at Barrett Jackson or some other high-profile auction. I would be amused.

Would it be mistaken to compare our little Lotus's to some of the older Ferrari's or Porsches? Many of those were as limited as the Elise (and certainly the Exige) is these days - in the same performance arena. The Exige is, for the most part, a hand build car body. All are purpose built - meaning it isn't a mainstream car but a high performance car geared toward a certain function. Today's Exige, for instance, is built in the hundreds - not thousands or hundreds of thousands - like the modern Boxster, Cayman - even some modern day Ferraris are manufactured in higher numbers. Lotus has as much heritage, reputation and provinance as those companies. I don't know - is it that unreasonable of a stretch to think of our cars in the same light like some of the European classics?

·
Registered
773 Posts
one other thing to consider is that the limited 20 for the CR is only the US delivery - there is are more CR's made for other markets - but i don;t know the total #'s - some not yet dead brain cell makes me want to say something around 60 total world wide?
50 Total:

25 - UK
20 - US
5 - Down Under/Australia

Where I've already personally got 1 of 20, I suppose you already know my answer/position on this. ;)

FWIW.

Cheers,
-Grant

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is interesting to me that so many have posted to go for the 240S yet so many have voted for the CR.

I'm leaning to the 240S as I like the color choices.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Go invest in stocks or gold or ???

If you want to make money investing, go invest in stocks, oil, gold, wheat, etc.... Historically cars are a horrible investment. Yes, a few cars in retrospect have been good investments. But IMHO you got to REALLY KNOW what you are doing and if you plan on driving it more than around the block a couple times a month you will have huge depreciation.

Cars are designed to be transportation / fun to have out on the road. They are created to be driven and enjoyed, not to be investments.

Stocks, bonds, gold, oil, etc... = good investment, but boring to talk about at a cocktail party and it's hard to get an ear to ear grin from them.

Cars = bad investment, but hell of a lot of fun to drive / track, you have a fun hobby to discuss with your buddys and with a Lotus you get the perma-grin.:D

Bottom line, buy the car you love, love the car by driving it, repeat as necessary or until you are no longer able to do so.

:shift:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If you like the look of the CR, get a 240S in that color and have the strip put on by Lotus or get one from sweet daddy d - issue solved.

The CR will not be collectable - and perhaps, neither will the 240S. Next year, something better and bigger will probably be out and it will just go down the line.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you want to make money investing, go invest in stocks, oil, gold, wheat, etc....
:shift:

All good points. Of course, I never said I would buy it as an investment merely a relative statement about which would hold its value most.:cool:

If I were to buy a car as an investment I can think of many many more that I would choose first. None of which I would drive, and the "newest" of which is 11 years old.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts