The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll cut to the chase here....

What is the most desirable model Elise/Exige from 2005-2011
significant from a collection point of view?

The majority are low milage drivers cars, and there are some
special editions that may be "relatively" rare but are any of those
really worthy of collecting?

Will they quickly become problematic & obsolete?

Mark

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I'll cut to the chase here....

What is the most desirable model Elise/Exige from 2005-2011
significant from a collection point of view?

The majority are low milage drivers cars, and there are some
special editions that may be "relatively" rare but are any of those
really worthy of collecting?

Will they quickly become problematic & obsolete?

Mark
Here's a list of anniversary/special edition models and while most are cosmetic, models in bold lettering with asterisks [*] are more than cosmetic and IMO, worth collecting:

• 2006 Lotus Sport Elise *
  • 2007 Lotus Elise Type 72D
  • 2008 Lotus Elise California Edition
  • 2008 Lotus Elise SC 60th Anniversary Edition
  • 2008 Lotus Exige Club Racer
  • 2009 Lotus Elise Purest Edition
  • 2009 Lotus Elise SC Type 25 *
  • 2009 Lotus Exige S260 Sport *
  • 2011 Lotus Elise SC RGB Edition
  • 2011 Lotus Elise SC Final Edition
  • 2011 Lotus Exige S240 RGB Edition
  • 2011 Lotus Exige S260 Final Edition
  • 2011 Lotus Exige S260 Matte Black Edition
  • 2011 Lotus Exige S260 Sport *

I think I'm forgetting a car but this should be it. If you're looking for a collectors car, I think time will prove all Lotus Elise/Exige will be collectors but the ones with asterisks I believe will be the ones more sought after in due time.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Here's a list of anniversary/special edition models and while most are cosmetic, models in bold lettering with asterisks [*] are more than cosmetic and IMO, worth collecting:

• 2006 Lotus Sport Elise *
  • 2007 Lotus Elise Type 72D
  • 2008 Lotus Elise California Edition
  • 2008 Lotus Elise SC 60th Anniversary Edition
  • 2008 Lotus Exige Club Racer
  • 2009 Lotus Elise Purest Edition
  • 2009 Lotus Elise SC Type 25 *
  • 2009 Lotus Exige S260 Sport *
  • 2011 Lotus Elise SC RGB Edition
  • 2011 Lotus Elise SC Final Edition
  • 2011 Lotus Exige S240 RGB Edition
  • 2011 Lotus Exige S260 Final Edition
  • 2011 Lotus Exige S260 Matte Black Edition
  • 2011 Lotus Exige S260 Sport *

I think I'm forgetting a car but this should be it. If you're looking for a collectors car, I think time will prove all Lotus Elise/Exige will be collectors but the ones with asterisks I believe will be the ones more sought after in due time.
Funny thing is with the relatively low numbers of cars sold each year in the US (esp from 2006 on), in any given year the 'special' edition is probably the most COMMON one of that year. For example, there are likely more 07 72D's than there are, say, 07 Canyon Red with track pack.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Funny thing is with the relatively low numbers of cars sold each year in the US (esp from 2006 on), in any given year the 'special' edition is probably the most COMMON one of that year. For example, there are likely more 07 72D's than there are, say, 07 Canyon Red with track pack.
Never thought of it that way. As far is value is concerned, I used to laugh in 2006-2010 when the guys without a clue thought their Values were dropping too much. Frankly for well kept 2005's to still be worth 50% of their purchase price is FABULOUS. It also seems that Evora values, now that the initial market correction has occurred are VERY stable. These will also be collectors as there are far fewer of them than any Elise/Exige except maybe the 50 2006 Lotus Sports

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
At this point there is no "collectability" of any model. Values are based purely on spec and condition.

In the future any Elige will be collectable. The more "factory" the better from a collector standpoint. As stated above Limited Editions are often greater in number than individually specified cars, but do carry some cahce. In the more distant past when Lotus were not doing multiped LimEd/SpEds a year cars like the JPS Europa and Esprit do carry a premium in the collector market so it will be difficult to predict if the myriad of Elige SpEds do the same.

From the list above I suspect The RGB will have some chache. The Matte Black paint will be very hard to maintain so 10-20 years from now if there is one in very good condition it might bring a premium, and any SpEd that was made in low numbers with higher performance will carry a premium over "regular cars"

As a collector myself - see signature - I can tell you that Lotus road cars off all types are considered collectable, but not particularly valuable. So if you are looking to establish a collection, or own a collectable car my advice is to get what you like rather than what may be worth something or considered more collectable down the line.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I will add my 2 cents to this...

Abe has pretty much nailed the collectible Elise and Exiges in North America.

Unlike most special editions - the 2009 and 2011 Sport 260 Exiges in particular are the most individually unique and not carbon copies (like the Matte or Club Racer) and are not simply a decontented cosmetic package (like the RGB's, Purist and Final Editions). The more original (unmodified) and undamaged (no paint/bodywork - no holes drilled into the clams) the better. Prices on these (particularly 2009's) have been appreciating this year and should continue to trend up for the long term. A few have already left the country purchased by owners overseas. As our pool shrinks (either by being exported or attrition) the reduced supply will drive up cost if demand is there. Without a Exige V6 Cup that can legally be driven on the streets here, it will remain the best collectible Exige in North America.

·
Registered
289 Posts
yeah especially the rear clam, regarding the top part where the carbon strip meet the fiberglass... they are almost irreplaceable now

no sure if they are or made any replacement part for that

Unlike most special editions - the 2009 and 2011 Sport 260 Exiges in particular are the most individually unique and not carbon copies (like the Matte or Club Racer) and are not simply a decontented cosmetic package (like the RGB's, Purist and Final Editions). The more original (unmodified) and undamaged (no paint/bodywork - no holes drilled into the clams) the better. Prices on these (particularly 2009's) have been appreciating this year and should continue to trend up for the long term. A few have already left the country purchased by owners overseas. As our pool shrinks (either by being exported or attrition) the reduced supply will drive up cost if demand is there. Without a Exige V6 Cup that can legally be driven on the streets here, it will remain the best collectible Exige in North America.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
yeah especially the rear clam, regarding the top part where the carbon strip meet the fiberglass... they are almost irreplaceable now

no sure if they are or made any replacement part for that
It is available in the full clam now. You should check out the Comprehensive Exige 260 Registry (located elsewhere - not on this forum) which has part numbers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback and "the list" !
This helps quite a bit, I just feel that there are so many
intriguing elements to these cars and it is unique enough
that it's styling is pretty invincible against time.

Unlike some automobiles you can place the exact year they were built
from it's style alone and becomes a bit passe...

The Exige S260 Sport is the jaw dropper but then again
the 60th Anniversary Elise seems to have a nice combination of features too...

-m

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Wow, amazing, your facts are right on, and I never knew that. I had no idea the 2009 S260 was so desirable, and pretty much the best Exige ever made (particularly the 2009)... I haven't ever noticed that the 2009 S260 is the best car Lotus ever made (Even better than the 2011). Wow! I guess a 2009 S260 is truly the best Exige ever made. I've been reading these forums for years, and I never knew that. It will probably be the most valuable of all the Exiges ever. Thanks for sharing!

·
Back to the Future, again
6,187 Posts
Wow, amazing, your facts are right on, and I never knew that. I had no idea the 2009 S260 was so desirable, and pretty much the best Exige ever made (particularly the 2009)... I haven't ever noticed that the 2009 S260 is the best car Lotus ever made (Even better than the 2011). Wow! I guess a 2009 S260 is truly the best Exige ever made. I've been reading these forums for years, and I never knew that. It will probably be the most valuable of all the Exiges ever. Thanks for sharing!
The 2009 S260 in Ice White is a pretty cool car.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Odd but ok - :confused: You're free to disagree but there really isn't anything to prove. It's been pretty constant variable in car collecting where the benchmark of a series or brand holds the most collectibility.

Anyway if you read or attempted to comprehend what I posted - I did not say only 2009. I suggest the 09 and 2011 Sport 260's. There are only 3 2011 Exige Sport 260's and each has something one-off about them making them pretty unique. Again, if you read the post, the Sport 260's collectibility is impacted if Lotus could sell a street legal of the latest V6 Cup. It is anticipate in European and other markets where both versions of the V6 Cup are available that the resale values of CUP 260's will be reduced.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You suggest the 2009 & 2011 S260........just out of curiosity, are there a huge number of 2010 S260's out there comparatively?

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
I'd thought of that too. Our Evora is "number 3 of 4" So that means 4 just alike. Doubt that there are more than 2 of any other combination.

Still way glad to have that particular version, but I've seen a couple that I liked a lot if not better.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Read the Lotus certificate of vehicle provenance thread. After 2005 and 2006 especially, so few cars were sold that nearly every one is unique is some way, and really, I suspect many of even the '05 and '06 cars - the "regular" editions that is - have distinguishing features. See also the many comments on parts that seem to vary from one year to the next, trims that are different, etc. Typically, special editions that offer something in terms of performance are more likely to be valued versus editions that feature only paint/trim/convenience items, but, the market for used Lotus is already pretty small, so if someone wants what you have, there isn't likely to be much competition.

The ways things go on this board, it seems that any car without a salvage or rebuilt title will become collectible! :)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
and the ones that are rebuilt will become track cars....wish we had a number for totalled vehicles to date.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
who would win in a fight, chuck norris or a 2009 exige sport 260? It boggles the mind.

Seriously, I think all of these cars will me moderately collectible in the next decade or so. I think in 30-40 years they may be very desirable. Hopefully we will all be around to see. I think the prominant thing to determine value will be condition and originallity. So many of these cars are already realatively beat up and heavily modified.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts