The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably the wrong crowd to ask... but I'm still looking for my dream car and I can't decide what type to get. Keep in mind I'm a 23 year old male.

How often and how much do those of you with the really vibrant colors regret your choice? I'm talking IG, KG, CO, LB... the ones that I think look awesome, but have no idea what it would be like to drive in public haha

I keep asking my friends and it's a mix, spread between guys and girls surprisingly. Some say get a "classy" black or gray lotus so I don't look like a douche, and others say do the natural thing and get the KG or LB exige that brings a tear to my eye... any advice from experience? I've read the stories about reactions, but i'm still curious about how the owner perceives it.

I'm currently thinking i'd be happy either way. Either absurdly bright car or batmobile... can't go wrong with a lotus =P I also point out to the skeptics that people who are going to think I'm a douche in a krypton green exige, will probably also think I'm a douche in a phantom black one! :coolnana:

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I have 2011 arctic silver now. I would have purchased a burnt orange but that was not an option – it was not available. You should get the color that you like if you find it and not the color others like, unless you are buying the car for others.

Also never regret, there is a reason for everything.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've had my Isotope Green Exige for 4 years now, with no regrets. It might be a problem if it is going to be your only car- I guess I'd feel like a douche if that were the case.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Listen, when others start making your car payment for you or pony up the cash to buy it outright, then start worrying about what they think. This is your hard-earned money going towards your dream car. Phuck what others think of your color choice. Pick the color that makes YOU happiest. I hope you take that advice to heart.

Now, from personal experience my CO Elise (I kept it spotless all the time) looked jaw-dropping hot and in a couple of instances people literally dropped their jaw when they saw it. Bottom line:

IT'S A DAMNED EXOTIC! IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE SUBTLE OR CLASSY PER SE. GET AN EXOTIC COLOR FOR AN EXOTIC CAR.

Now if you're one that'll keep it less than clean all the time, you might want to consider a color that doesn't show dirt as much such as silver. As for the "classy" black that some of your friends say you should get.......save it for your "classy" Benz when you're 60 y/o.

You're 23 y/o man! Seize life by the horns. Get the hot color on the hot car!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Douche is not defined by car color - it's defined by your attitude and your driving habits. You can be a douche in a brown 1998 Taurus if you act unapproachable or drive as if you have something to prove.

Get the color you like the best.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Douche is not defined by car color - it's defined by your attitude and your driving habits. You can be a douche in a brown 1998 Taurus if you act unapproachable or drive as if you have something to prove.

Get the color you like the best.
Exactly what he said! Not that I'm your wise old elder or anything because I'm only 15 years older than you, but as you grow older you'll start to give less of a schit about what others think. Be comfortable in your own skin bro, and that includes the car you're driving.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I was looking for a solar yellow initially, but couldn't find what i wanted at the price I wanted. I wound up getting a lotus racing green instead, and truly, even though I am an attention whore :D, I think the car get more attention than I expected in LRG. I drive mine as much as possible btw.
All I'm saying is, if that is the color you really want, just be prepared for the added attention. Not only does your car stand out in shape, size and rarity, but it will also really stand out in color! But the bright colors do have quite a lot more appeal!

Good luck with whatever color you choose.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Get what impresses YOU.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Get what you like. Personally, I like the bright colors. I have a Sport that is Saffron Yellow with Storm Titanium stripes. I think you lose some contrast against the black trim pieces and the black tires with the dark colors. Bright colors also make our small cars more visible too.
When I walk away from my car, I always want to turn around and look at it. Make sure you get a color that forces you to do that!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Some of the brighter colors make the curves on the car jump out (and I think that is sexy). I ended up with storm titanium because I was thinking about a very small segment of the public's perception (The segment which drive cars which are colored with black and white and have delightful/colorful lights on top).

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
I like the query and I have given considerable thought on the subject myself. I went with CO. I believe it is the first thing that draws the eyes to the car from fairly absurd distances. Then the smallness draws their attention that this is not something they have seen before. Then the lines on these cars are design candy...

I drive the car however only when I am in the mood for all that attention... Also when I feel confident enough not to react to the occassional hater that communicates their feelings through actual douche driving behavior. You can get aggressed in these cars even more than a motorcycle due to the perception of their value. That could be a negative I suppose. I wonder if those in more subdued colors get less reactions of that sort ? hmmm ?

I live in a city where the home team is you guessed it Go Vols Chrome Orange ! So the attention is even more manifest during game days ! I mean for myself with this particular vehicle the more outlandish the better.

I agree with the statement about black being more of a luxury car color for myself. I see silver and champaign the same way. I have a gloss black/chrome stretchy thing with V8,Rims and limo tint for the weekly.

Weekends it's racing around the town getting people excited about Lotus Cars ! I never weary of talking about it's unique attributes and liabilities... In the end it can back up it's exotic looks... I drive it that way too so others can see the complete package it actually is ! Get the color that appeals to you man for your own rationale logical or otherwise. Like you said you can't go wrong bro !

However there is this to consider... Hethel does takes extra care with all the CO Lotus they build cause they are the workers favorite. It is the widely accepted view here at LT anyway that CO Lotus have superior performance if only for that reason... :cool:

Just more love goes into them when being built.

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
I knew exactly what color I wanted when I was looking for mine. I would not look at any that were not in the three colors that I wanted. I knew what I wanted and would not settle. I ended up with Nightfall Blue which is my favorite color. Point is get the color that mkes YOU happy. It is your car!

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
You should get the color YOU want and forget what other people think. If you're not sure that you'd be comfortable with the Skittles colors, maybe try blue or red.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses, and I'm glad that owners are feeling the same why that I'm thinking I would feel. It's just hard to keep things clear when people I like, respect, and think similarly to are saying to play it safe.

And I had totally forgotten the point of being more noticeable on the road. While that seems like a cop out reason to support the brighter colors, it is true and something I'm more than a little worried about. The other problem is I haven't seen too many lotuses in person (midwest living) so I don't even know how they all stack up yet... but as I said, it's looking either krypton green, laser blue, nightfall blue, or phantom black since those are my favorites from pictures.

And my current workhorse is a black 2000 monte carlo, which I will continue to use when the weather is less than ideal. So I wont have to "look like a douche" all the time and definitely not the ****ty half of the year!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I drooled over KG every time I saw a picture of it. First time I saw the color in person was when the delivery truck pulled up. I couldn't be happier! Get the color you want and don't care about what anyone else thinks.

The argument for a bright color making you more easily seen is like the "loud pipes save lives" argument. I have been run off the road by soccer moms in mercedes SUV's that didn't seen me numerous times in both my KG and AR. Having said that seems like people bail out of the left hand lane when they see the KG coming more than they did with AR.

·
Registered
906 Posts
No regrets. Look at the tagline under my name!

Edit: That was the only color I wanted. Nothing else was gonna do.

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
I ordered Chrome Orange because orange is my favorite color.
I didn’t/don’t care if anyone else likes it. All that matters is that I do.

Don't pick a color that you "should get". Pick a color that YOU want.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Get the color that most pleases you.
Google some images or check out the pictures posted on this site in the color section.
I look forward to you posting the car that you ultimately pick.

vincesf

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Bordeaux Red Pearl will make older women (24) jump in and disrobe. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Bright colors aren't douchy to me. Instead, to me they say "I'm a bright and happy person". That being said, mine is Solar Yellow...but if I had the chance I would've gotten either KG or BRG with yellow stripes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts