The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...however when going through the different colors I thought I noticed that the chrome orange changed color from light to dark. Is this the case; is the chrome orange a color shift type of paint?? In some of the pics the orange was lighter and others darker, looks very cool. I assume that there are metallic flakes in the paint.
Also, yellow seems to be the flavor of the day, and most popular color for the Elise and if you want to stand out from the crowd orange is the better bet.
I have noticed that there are very few orange cars in general on the road from any manufacturer; the only 2 that come to mind are the Mazda protégé and Lambo Diablo. So orange is rare to begin with. The only downside to the color orange is $1,200. I guess it is the price to pay for exclusivity.
Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,684 Posts
Maverick1 said:
...however when going through the different colors I thought I noticed that the chrome orange changed color from light to dark. Is this the case; is the chrome orange a color shift type of paint?? In some of the pics the orange was lighter and others darker, looks very cool. I assume that there are metallic flakes in the paint.
Also, yellow seems to be the flavor of the day, and most popular color for the Elise and if you want to stand out from the crowd orange is the better bet.
I have noticed that there are very few orange cars in general on the road from any manufacturer; the only 2 that come to mind are the Mazda protégé and Lambo Diablo. So orange is rare to begin with. The only downside to the color orange is $1,200. I guess it is the price to pay for exclusivity.
Cheers

not so uncommon. mustangs and other fords including pickup trucks

the paint appearance you refer to is purely a lighting condition of shaded vs sunlit paint and how digital cameras render the colors combined with the color rendition of your specific computer monitor.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not seen an orange Elise in the flesh so to speak...

..so you are saying that in the flesh, when the sun hits the orange paint you do not see the different shades of light and dark orange that you see in the photos?? I guess I should see the orange live before I make my decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Re: I have not seen an orange Elise in the flesh so to speak...

Maverick1 said:
..so you are saying that in the flesh, when the sun hits the orange paint you do not see the different shades of light and dark orange that you see in the photos?? I guess I should see the orange live before I make my decision.
You should definitely see it in person before you decide. I noticed that the pictures that we took the other day with the SY and CO together made it look like there were yellow tints on the CO car, but it didn't look like that in person at all. It looked orange. Apparently it was an effect of the digital photo as mentioned above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
- See the orange paint live before making the decision. Why? Because you'll fall in love with it. Probably wouldn't have chosen CO unless I had seen it in the flesh.

- Yes, the paint has mettallic flake. I would say it is an orange base paint with yellow mettallic flake.

- I can't seem to take a photo of CO without part of the car coming out yellow. But in real life, the yellow tones are almost imperceptible. It's only in direct sunlight that they emerge, and even here it is a much more subtle, pearlescent effect than what photos would suggest.

- There are very, very few orange cars on the road in the big scheme of what's out there. Old hugger orange muscle cars, old BMW 2002s (very few and far between)... I can't recall seeing any modern production cars in orange save VWs. WW's new orange paint is much darker than CO, and I believe it is essentially flat. But it looks great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,684 Posts
local ford dealer in small town tennessee has a few orange cars on the lot...hence they cannot be THAT rare. but...the color is not so common, agreed. taste prevails :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are these pics a good representation of orange color

pics
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,684 Posts
looks like a pumpkin to me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
The first one is mine, and it really doesn't capture the color all that well. Probably the top of the front fender is the closest, but it still doesn't quite get it. The color is really hard to capture with a camera. It's really "bright" in the sunshine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
I think you should get the color you like, without regard for how many other Elises have the same color. As far as standing out, keep in mind that the Elise stands out regardless of color.

I really do not think my yellow Elise blends in at all.

Get the color you like. And IMO, you can't go wrong with Chrome Orange. I did not get it because $1200 was more than I was willing to pay, and I was concerned it was too much for me (it was voted down in the family too).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thankyou Jennifer-those pics really help

I can see in those pics the light metallic specs, they look awesome in the direct sunlight. Wow....the car takes on a completely different look from sunlight to cloudy conditions. Almost like two different paints. Just what I want. However, I still hope to see both the orange and yellow in person if it is possible in the nexts few weeks.
Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Maverick1 said:
I can see in those pics the light metallic specs, they look awesome in the direct sunlight. Wow....the car takes on a completely different look from sunlight to cloudy conditions. Almost like two different paints. Just what I want. However, I still hope to see both the orange and yellow in person if it is possible in the nexts few weeks.
Cheers
I had been very curious about the CO myself, since it looked like such a different finish in the photos. The orange wouldn't have been my choice anyway (nothing against the COM, but the black and orange just isn't my taste ;) ) but I was intriqued by the way the color looked in the photos. Although it's very nice in person, it's not the way I expected it at all. It looks more like a matte finish than I expected it to, and than it looked like in the photos I had seen.

Where do you live, Doug? We have at least a couple SY and a couple CO in Reston if you're anywhere nearby. My recommendation is to buy the color you like, preferably based on a first hand view.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,607 Posts
CO looks very flat on overcast days. Just a flat orange. I still like it ok, but not as much. On sunny days this color is just spectacular IMHO.

I like both yellow and CO. I think people who havent seen CO on a lovely sunny day probably dont hold it in as high esteem as those who have seen it under different lights/conditions. Cerven came down to an autocross to check the car out, Im disappointed to say that it was an ugly flat day and I bet he didnt like the CO too much. If you're already on the fence about orange you REALLY need to see it in the sunshine. If the first time you see it is on an ugly overcast day and you're already unsure or looking for a reason to not like it, you may not be as enthused.

We have both SY and CO. I love them both equally.

Our babies.

If you're anywhere near Louisville Kentucky you're more than welcome to check them out.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top