The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at Evoras, I see that many of them have matte black "L O T U S" and "Evora 400" badging on the back end. But when the paint color is dark, black can disappear. I think a Lotus should be loud and proud about who and what it is. Is there chrome/etc. badging available that is more suitable for dark paint colors? Can it be installed in place of the existing matte black badging, or is that a one-time choice at the factory?

·
Registered
350 Posts
The S1 Evora’s (well mine at least) were all chrome (I dipped them black as my car is red). You could potentially fit a set of earlier badges if you wanted chrome. Dunno what you’d do about the 400 badge, maybe paint it?

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I think the "400" part of the badge started out red over chrome originally, but the red would flake off over time, so they switched to a black decal.

Here's all the OE options that Lotus offers:

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonder if you could simply apply the chrome versions over the existing black, thus avoiding the risk of damage to the paint?

·
Loves to talk
949 Posts
Exactly. there are several iterations of the badging. Early cars, which would be most '17s, had a red metal 400 like this:

No matter how careful you are, the red "400" goes flakey and falls off. When that happens, the rest can be removed with a decent fingernai and about 6 minutes of focus. I am not kidding about how easy that stuff is to flake off. The good news is that the badge is nicely chromed and looks fine clear of the coating. If you have metal badging it indicates a somewhat earlier car. At some point in production (late 2017 production/2018, circa) the badges were switched to decals like the 410s.

After the nail polish masquerading as paint is flaked off you get this:

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I'd like to do is have the raised chrome "L O T U S", "EVORA", and "400" badges (as shown on the green Evora above) instead of the matte black ones. Scanning the Hethelsport.com site (thank you!), I've found:

"L O T U S": HethelSport | Lotus Evora Specialty, 3D raised badge in chrome or black
"EVORA": HethelSport | Lotus Evora Specialty, 3D raised badge in chrome or black
"400": HethelSport | Lotus Evora Specialty, 3D raised badge in chrome with red coating which they imply is better than the old flaky red coating

If the "400" red coating starts to flake off, I'm totally OK with removing the red and leaving it chrome. I'd actually order it that way if available.

Interestingly, the black versions are more expensive than the chrome. Seems odd, but thankfully works for me since I want chrome anyway.

So it appears there's a source for the chrome badges. Here are shots of the existing badges:

Note these are not 3D. They look like stickers. I presume the 3D chrome versions are the same size. Can the latter simply be applied over the former, to avoid risk to the paint?

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While we're on the topic of badges... another Evora we've found has these 3D British flag badges on both sides, just in front of the doors:

The seller said he didn't order them. They don't appear on the window sticker. Yet I've never seen them on any other Evora in person or online. Anyone else seen these? What's the deal?

·
Scott M
279 Posts
The S1 Evora’s (well mine at least) were all chrome (I dipped them black as my car is red). You could potentially fit a set of earlier badges if you wanted chrome. Dunno what you’d do about the 400 badge, maybe paint it?
Mine are gloss black: Evora, Lotus, S
It seems OE, but I’m the 3rd owner.

·
Registered
537 Posts
While we're on the topic of badges... another Evora we've found has these 3D British flag badges on both sides, just in front of the doors:

The seller said he didn't order them. They don't appear on the window sticker. Yet I've never seen them on any other Evora in person or online. Anyone else seen these? What's the deal?
The dealer installed them when I lived in Dubai. I think I’ve seen them for sale on various online venues. Shouldn’t be too hard to find if you want them.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
They were factory installed on the Evora S Sports Racer sold in the UK and other parts of the world. I installed a set on my car.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, I will give serious consideration to the British flag. I think it's a very nice, tasteful touch.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
My S has gloss black badging from the factory. They came standard on the black pack cars. I don't know if they are painted chrome but 6 years in and they're still like new.

I want to say the Union Jack came on a small batch of cars. In 12/13 there were a lot of small trim variations as the factory was struggling and I'm thinking they just used (or didn't) what was available. A perfect example is the chrome "Evora" sill plates - the early 13s had them but mine (mid 13) doesn't.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My S has gloss black badging from the factory. They came standard on the black pack cars.
But not stickers, right? To me the stickers look cheap compared to normal 3D badging.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts