The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put the hardtop on as the temps are going into the 90's with high humidity. I love open air driving, but now the interior feels so much more comfortable. The other bonus is, in my opinion, the Elise looks so much better with the hardtop on. It's interesting that the hardtop installation schedule is the reverse of more northern states.
Cheers
Michael

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm with you on the hardtop, even here in NJ. Looks great, better highway comfort, and I always use it for track days ( even though there is no structural advantage.) If there was on- board HT storage and quick release, I'd never use the sh!tty soft top.

My Miata is a far beter top- down car, for obvious reasons, so that's what I default to for a day at the beach.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
I think the snowbirds should be required to stay here during the summer for a week. None of this leaving just after and before it gets hot. Suffer as we do :)

Being a sunbird doesnt sound so bad though...

·
Registered
451 Posts
I put my hardtop on the elise for a track day last week, think I'll be keeping it on for awhile. The car looks better and is more comfortable to drive. Now I just need to get a new soft top for my miata and I can enjoy top down driving in that again. It still has the hardtop on from the winter because the soft top rear window is a mess.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i'm debating putting mine on for the summer - nineties to hundreds down here, too - but it feels so nice to drive open-topped in the evenings...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Wowsers..

:rolleyes:I agree with Michael, those rear two bolts are Buggers to get to catch into the threads. and the soft top is a waist of time. I just take a small plastic tarp with me to the car shows instead of the soft top in case it rains. You still have to wait for the rain to subside tho or else drive like HELL.... Yousers go fastly Oh Boy.... My soft top is still in the bag and never been used..

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess it depends on your perspective, but I find the soft top (targa top) great. I am comparing it to the '94 Viper I used to own, which had to be assembled from various struts and other pieces. It took about 10mins to assemble, had foam as weatherstripping, which absorbed water :crazyeyes and literally leaked like a sieve. The Elise softtop is an amazing piece of technology compared, goes on in seconds and rarely leaks. Remember, this car is a "targa" not a true convertible. I think it difficult to get those rear bolts threaded because the seat belt anchor is just below, making it difficult to get a screwdriver aligned straight.
Michael
:rolleyes:I agree with Michael, those rear two bolts are Buggers to get to catch into the threads. and the soft top is a waist of time. I just take a small plastic tarp with me to the car shows instead of the soft top in case it rains. You still have to wait for the rain to subside tho or else drive like HELL.... Yousers go fastly Oh Boy.... My soft top is still in the bag and never been used..

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just put the hardtop on as the temps are going into the 90's with high humidity. I love open air driving, but now the interior feels so much more comfortable. The other bonus is, in my opinion, the Elise looks so much better with the hardtop on. It's interesting that the hardtop installation schedule is the reverse of more northern states.
Cheers
Michael
That's funny... I'm waiting for it to be warm enough to take the top off!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I find that in Texas, the pleasant times of year when I would like the top off are about two weeks in the spring, and two weeks in the fall. It's either too hot or cold the rest of the time. So this year I left the hard top on the entire time.

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
I had a problem with the rear passenger bolt as well.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
the hardtop was the first thing I removed and I haven't put it back since. God bless Northern CA.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.