The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Graham Hill, born February 15th, 1929, would have turned 80 today. He became F1 World Champion twice, driving a 1.5 liter BRM in 1962 and a Lotus 49 in 1968. He was also the father of 1996 Champion Damon Hill.

Graham Hill is reckoned as one of the last gentleman drivers, a character of true sportsmanship.

Graham Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
About 7 years ago when when my father in law passed, I was going through his garage and found an Italian magazine with a unbelievable 12 page article on Graham Hill from the 60's. In it were pictures of Hill, his kids when they were small and his wife. Very personal pictures, but printed in the article including one on his holding is son (Damon) and his daughter.....whose name I dont remember. But Graham was holding both kids in his arms

I tried contacting Damon Hill to see if he wanted this, perhaps he had not seen it in a long time and maybe he did not have it.

It took a while...several months...maybe more and I finally got a message to his administrative assistant. I had contacted his BMW dealerhship in London, and they sent me an email to buy a BMW. That was the connection I needed and eventually recieved an email from Damon and his AA that Damon would love the magazine. He did not have it and would I send it to him.

I did. In return he sent me some autographed photos.

Nice guy and I know he really appreciated it.

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
ms - Thank you for posting this, reminding us

tony- great story and both of you were v nice to do what you did

In late 60s, I was driving from London to north, stopped at a racetrack (name escapes me now) and, seeing no one @ gate, drove right in.

Found Hill practicing w/F1 team, Lotus I think. He'd go out for a few laps, come in and team would adjust car.

I thought: Wow, this is the greatest job in the world!

Later, I saw how bored Hill was while waiting for mechanics to finish.

The lesson I learned: Every job probably has its boring aspects.

I was too stupid to approach the team and Graham. The worst that could've happened was I'd be asked to leave......happens to me everywhere I go.

My friend bob went to F1 @ Watkins Glen every year since he was a kid. Graham noticed Bob was alway in attendance, talked to him, signed stuff, was VERY nice.

Alas, Bob's memorabilia was ruined in a minor flood.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I have copies of that article here somewhere....let me see if I can put my hands on it.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
No...it was photos taken almost entirely in the Hill household. There is of Graham shaving of all things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts