The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A$$!!!!! OH MY GOD MY A$$!!!!!..... I didn't have any aches or pains but the hard seats really came into effect about 5-6 hours into the trip. I started taking 30 minute gas stops just so my rump could rest.

I made the trip on R1R's and although they were really good on dry roads I can say that I absolutely do not recommend these tires if you are looking for something that will handle well in worse conditions. I got really unlucky sunday morning when I left. A random snow storm hit and I almost didnt make it out of Chicago. What a bad way to welcome back the Lotus from its long storage. The snow wasnt too bad and it didnt really blanket the roads but I couldnt drive 30mph in a straight line on the highway without the car trying to break loose. So after about an hour of bullcrap I reached indiana and the weather got better. When the roads were dry everything was good. A really scary moment happen when it was all dry roads and out of nowhere it was a rectangular patch of wet road that covered the highway for about 10 feet. When I hit that patch the car quickly broke left and right then caught traction again and snapped in place soon as it hit dry pavement.

I often found myself cruising at moderate speeds. At higher speeds it seemed like I always had to keep my foot down or the car would feel loose and the winds would push me left or right.

Other than that it was just like any other drive.

Aside from all that it was just like any other drive.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
When I took delivery of mine, I drove it from LA area to Fort Worth, TX. I had bruises on my thighs for about a week, and had even stopped in Arizonia at a Wal-Mart to get a small seat cushion to put in the seat for extra padding.

It was pretty severe as far as road trips go, but it was surely worth it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
What year car? I had a 9 hour drive in my '06 with no complaints, except lack of cruise control.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I picked mine up in Lafayete LA, and drove it back to NYC in 2 days. I got so desperate, I took a pillow from the hotel to jam under my rear end to ease things up :crazyeyes

Still a great trip though

·
Registered
836 Posts
Last weekend I drove my Elise from Cleveland, OH, to Duluth, MN. (840 miles, a few hours in snow)

I loved the seats, maybe I am odly shapped? I was not in the seat 20 hours, just 12.5 hour but sure felt like I could have driven another 10 hours easy.

I agree that it gets a little slipery in snow but as long as I was going over 40mph it was solid.

A cruise control would have been VERY nice :)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What year car? I had a 9 hour drive in my '06 with no complaints, except lack of cruise control.
07 Elise. This was purely just hard seats.... Thats all. I already knew that of course but since I havent ever been in the car for longer than 2 hours prior to this drive I didnt really know first hand. It was just my butt that hurt.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I drove my '06 Exige 11 hours back from Texas, and noticed a few things.

1. My back hurt 5 minutes into the drive, probably due to the lack of lumbar support, but it never got any worse.
2. My shoulders hurt more than my back by the end of the trip because of how close I am to the steering wheel (and no, the seat isn't all the way forward).
3. I really could have used ear plugs, the Larini SE dual-tip exhaust sounds nice, but can be a killer on a long trip.
4. The lack of cruise didn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Appreciate the comments as I've been toying with the idea of driving from here in PA out to visit a friend in Arizona this spring. 36 hours per Goodle, but I'd take at least four or five days out and then again back after a stay of a few days.

Any long drive will have its issues for comfort I suspect. I've been in my 07 Elise w Touring Pack for several hours at a stretch with no thought that it would be any worse than any other car I've been in. Its the monotony of hour after hour of interstate driving that gets to me. And others talk about the roar whine of the engine in a L:eek:tus to be problematic during long hauls.

My concern is as much about such little space for luggage but I was thinking of expressing some clothing ahead and sending any purchases along the way home by UPS.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Perhaps, if you have another long drive, shifting your backside around a bit to keep the circulation going will help.

Longest drive in the Elise for me so far has been just about 13 hours but it was very comfortable. I shift my tail in the seat about every 30 mins or so on long journeys, no matter what I'm driving. It seems to make a difference for me.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreciate the comments as I've been toying with the idea of driving from here in PA out to visit a friend in Arizona this spring. 36 hours per Goodle, but I'd take at least four or five days out and then again back after a stay of a few days.

Any long drive will have its issues for comfort I suspect. I've been in my 07 Elise w Touring Pack for several hours at a stretch with no thought that it would be any worse than any other car I've been in. Its the monotony of hour after hour of interstate driving that gets to me. And others talk about the roar whine of the engine in a L:eek:tus to be problematic during long hauls.

My concern is as much about such little space for luggage but I was thinking of expressing some clothing ahead and sending any purchases along the way home by UPS.
If you timed out the drive I dont think it would be a problem. I didnt have any back pains or anything but my arse definitely felt it after 5 or 6 hours. It was terrible at times. I wouldnt recommend more than 10 hours a day.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I guess it all depends on how you fit into the seats. I've driven my '05 from Chicago to Fort Worth and from Fort Worth to Las Vegas and back. I have lower back problems and was worried about long trips, but I find the stock Lotus seats to be the most comfortable of any I've traveled in.

Planning another trip to LOG29 in May...

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I bought mine I drove it from Chicago to San Diego, with a stop at my sister's in Dallas. I drove for about 8-10 hours per day. I found the seat to be comfortable. The noise level bothered me. I wore earplugs for part of the time, but then the earplugs would start to irritate my ears. My other issue was that the boney areas on the outsides of my knees were resting against the sill on the left side and the console the the right side. This left these areas a bit sore an bruised for a few days.

My car with worn out AD07s was not fun to drive on freezing rain covered roads...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I just drove my Elise from Reno, NV to Detroit, MI over a 4 day period. The trip ended up being 2,600 miles. While the driving position seems quite ergonomic, the cable throttle [mine's an '05] means a the pedal effort leaves me with a fatigued right butt cheek, knee, and heel of foot after about 40 miles. Shifting in the seat usually lets me go another 40 miles without too much discomfort, however come about 150 miles into the stint I simply had to stop and take a break. I think the biggest reason is because there's so little room to move around, the lack of blood-flow causes quicker fatigue than a more spacious cabin. A quick jog around the parking lot rejuvenated me long enough to do another stint and keep driving. Averaging 650 miles a day however should still show that the car is capable of long term trips, albeit without some significant compromise to comfort.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
try doing a long trip on a motorcycle. it is 100x less comfortable without any creature comforts at all. if it rains you're getting wet, if it gets cold you're going to freeze, if it gets hot you're sweating your nuts off... and your arse would be much worse off on a bike, even with a corbin saddle.

Sure, they have different gear for different rides and whatnot, but with the Lotus, you just turn on the heater or a/c or take off the top and you're home free.

I find myself quite fortunate to be in a Lotus and out of the elements during long drives. it's like a lexus to me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I drove mine from MD to Orlando last month. It really wasn't bad for me (we stopped in NC on the way down, so the longest leg was about 11 hours, I think). We felt good enough to go to Disney World the night we got in after being in the car all day! (Incidentally, regularly driving or riding in a Lotus makes most roller coasters seem quite tame :cool: It's kind of too bad, I used to love roller coasters but Universal Studios just couldn't stand up to a day out on the twisties.)

Same deal on the way home, although I actually rode for over 300 miles on the way home due to being too sick to see straight. Passenger seat in my car is a little more comfortable than the driver's seat, probably because the foam in it is less compressed ('05, touring, 30k miles). I found both quite comfortable, though. Honestly I didn't really notice the difference, but my friend did. (She was so nervous about driving it, she just barely knows how to drive a manual--just enough to manage getting from the highway to a stop and back on the highway.)

My shoulders were sore, though. I think it's just due to holding onto the vibrating wheel on not-so-smooth highways, or more likely just from keeping my arms in basically the same position for 10 hours...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Do you have sport pack suspension? I have sport pack on mine and you feel every bump. I'm told no sport pack is a lot better for street driving.

As for the R1R, they're R-compound summer tires. I've heard they're decent in the rain too. But you're not supposed to have them out in the snow. I haven't tried them yet, so I can't really say. Being R-compound tires they likely suffer the same issues the A048s do with not wanting to be exposed to freezing temperatures.

·
Registered
68 Posts
J-Lo may be the way to go !

My Probax seats are ridiculously comfortable and I have often commented to friends that the look of the seat and the comfort they provide, just boggles my mind :crazyeyes
I have read that the solution to the Probax mystery is that the seat rotates the hips slightly and spreads the weight, reducing the onset of bum aches:clap:

So if you have these seats installed and still have issues , I can only recommend the J-Lo diet:D

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
Every year I drive from FL to NJ, stopping only for gas. (Yes, my gas gauge and bladder are synched..)

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/nj-fl-back-twice-58565/

Sometimes it takes about 19 hrs. As I drive overnight, I take a no-doze pill.

Car, to me, is amazingly comfortable. I do recommend:

Moving the seat forward/back once in a while.

Playing with the lumbar support bladder.

Stretching while pumping gas.

I have learned to hate Rt 95....so boring.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Has anyone had luck using cushions on long drives? I have a 3/8" foam sleeping bag cushion that I'm looking at. The idea is to cut pieces to custom fit the space between the bolsters. I would take one or two at a time and slide them into a sewn envelope of matching upholstery material.

Would that be enough to help?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts