The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - just had my first actual event with the 06 Elise. Wild-a$$-guessed on shocks, got it pretty good by the end of the day. Wish I'd _started_ there.

Anyone out there have/remember what they used for settings (I'm going X clicks off full stiff) on double adjustable Ohlins/LSS springs/Hoosiers/BWR front bar?

Thanks!

Iain

·
Registered
350 Posts
in my experience, the stiffer i go, the faster i go - caveat being it gets more difficult to stay at the limit (driver limited, of course)! surface/conditions/tire life dependent of course, not to mention where your valving is at. but with 2006-braun spec DA ohlins, i'm now at 0f/0r rebound, and -2f/-2r compression. haven't dyno'd the shocks, but i'll most likely go even more digressive under 1-1.5ips with front rebound when i get them re-valved in the offseason.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh, yow, thanks! I finished up at -7/-7 rear, -10r/-8c front. Car felt good-ish. Tight. Not pushy, but not really rotating. I think I'll have the opportunity to change things around more this weekend. BWR bar in the middle hole, not sure on alignment (shims are gone, save ABS).

Hmmm. Not sure which Ohlins I have - silver body, gold res. I did wind up taking two clicks of compression out of the rear to combat a midcorner-loose condition, that did seem to help.

Interesting. No harm in running these full stiff? Koni always recommended a portion of a turn off full stiff on the yellows.

Thanks for the graph! I really should have mine gone through, just to get a baseline, but for now, they'll do.

Iain

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah a full scan was quite expensive and there is a vast amount of paper but I felt I needed to quantify the interrelation between bump and rebound. I don't run the same type of events, or tyres so my experience is not relevant to you but it is fun to note that I sometimes use a little overload of rear bump to make it rotate midcorner just like you took off :)

And yes most of these fairly simple dampers will generate mad heat at full close and probably start to cavitate on longer events. Mine got to 80C just on the dyno. It would be fun to see what the previously mentioned braun spec dampers look like. That graph is a front and was set to bump=6, there is a graph of rebound for each bump setting which is why it costs so much.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Interesting. No harm in running these full stiff? Koni always recommended a portion of a turn off full stiff on the yellows.
welcome to stock class autox - where you don't necessarily do things the "right" way. what i wouldn't do for a set of much stiffer springs and ride height adjustment! but you know that already :)

i definitely don't like running them there, but i'm out of adjustment, which is why it's on my list of things to fix in the offseason. matthew actually jumped in my car in san diego, and was the one who persuaded me to run them at full stiff - compared to the cars he's run, he was not happy with how slowly the rear was transitioning on the higher speed stuff and quick the car was willing to transfer weight from front to back.

in all honesty, there's gonna be too much driver noise before you can really start dialing in your setup; get comfortable with the car first. then, maybe in a few weeks/months, you could try something much stiffer after a set of competition runs one day, and really see the difference (for better or for worse). but i know you know that already, too :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree on getting used to the car - I'm a freaking flounder in this thing. The BMW was SO easy to drive, just get it in 2nd, look ahead and BELIEVE. It stuck like crazy.

It also rotated nicely if you wanted it to. You could put power down just about anywhere. It was lovely.

I'd at least like to get the Lotus to the point that it'll rotate on demand; once I get it there, I'll leave it alone til I have a better handle on the finer points, but right now, ehhhh, no, can't do it, have to get it happier. It is not BAD, but it needs to be a little better before I stop messing with it and drive. The good news is that I got it pretty close, wound up 23rd on the index at a local event, and I figure I left a solid second in the car as it sat (I was driving like a bonehead). Fairly promising first event, really, even though I was generally annoyed that I was going so slow. Eh. I know I could have knocked .5-1 off pretty easily, just kept screwing up the downshifts (two tightish turnarounds).

blah blah blah. We'll see. If I can just get the shocks to a livable point, I'll be happy - it is not AWFUL now, but being able to rotate the car without totally chucking it around would be nice.

Iain

1 - 8 of 8 Posts