The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, don't flame me, but I want opinions from Lotus owners. I'm really thinking about getting a used Elise at this point. The other car I'm thinking about is a Porsche 911. To me both are beautiful cars. Very different I know. If I didn't have a couple of kiddos I'd go for the Elise no problem. But I do have a couple of little ones and that little back seat in the 911 is a big draw (you can't just balance kids on the folded down convertible top like my parents did on Triumphs and MG's anymore).

Ok, so, any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
get the 911 & teach the kids about the joy of cars. both cars are great, in their own way. there are many subjective differences between them, but the elise just is not a family car for the size of your family.

your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
for 99.99999% of the population any generation 911 is better in every way to any lotus! It is so much better as a road car.

If however you value "flickability", steering feel, agility, and driving purity over nearly anything else, Lotus has no road legal peers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Part of the thinking is I want to infect my kids with the same car sickness my parents did for me. However, the lotus fits the bill of that sickness better.

The way I'm looking at the Lotus is like my mom looked at her MGA's - beautiful, minimal, raw, and fun. So in my mind it is like an MGA but more reliable and more 'advanced' (and thus more fun).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course, one advantage is that folks on this forum are answering my question but the same question on 3 different porsche forums has yet to get one response. Coming from Mini's, community does have a place :)

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Part of the thinking is I want to infect my kids with the same car sickness my parents did for me. However, the lotus fits the bill of that sickness better.

The way I'm looking at the Lotus is like my mom looked at her MGA's - beautiful, minimal, raw, and fun. So in my mind it is like an MGA but more reliable and more 'advanced' (and thus more fun).
Absolutely right :)

My kids love it (4 & 6) but it does have its practicality issues

·
Registered
685 Posts
Ok, don't flame me, but I want opinions from Lotus owners. I'm really thinking about getting a used Elise at this point. The other car I'm thinking about is a Porsche 911. To me both are beautiful cars. Very different I know. If I didn't have a couple of kiddos I'd go for the Elise no problem. But I do have a couple of little ones and that little back seat in the 911 is a big draw (you can't just balance kids on the folded down convertible top like my parents did on Triumphs and MG's anymore).

Ok, so, any thoughts?
How old are your kids? And how often do you plan on taking them in a 911 or Elise?

I take my kids (one at a time of course) on local joy rides in my Elise. They love the open top and the fact that the Elise is their 'size'. But I would not take them on freeway's - that job is for my BMW 5 series or minivan.

So, for me mostly weekends excursions to the local mall or ice-cream stores. ymmv.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boys are 6 years and 11 months. 90 percent of the time we take my wife's big SUV when we all go. I guess they could take turns in the Elise :) The Elise would just be for fun, not basic transportation. The wife's car and my Mini would still serve that role.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My "toy car" saga...

Ironically I sold my boxster when I found out I was having a baby... missing the porsche, I convinced my wife I needed a 911 for the "back seat" I fixed it up nice.

When I was surprised that number 2 was on the way, I sold my 911. I thought it was time to get rid of some toys... I lost sleep every time I opened the garage. My SUVs were less than exhilarating and I needed more. I chose the lotus as a replacement toy.

For the family, the 911 is more practical. Mine was lowered on rough suspension with body kit and it still drove like a Cadillac next to the elise. The lotus is pure fun, nothing else.

I love the lotus experience, but the next toy will be a 911 turbo.. To each his own.

Here is my old 911 and the little booger who influenced my sale.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nola911, funny the first time I read that last sentence I had in my mind that 'here's mine' referred to your child so I was confused when you said the bit about 'selling her'.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nola911, funny the first time I read that last sentence I had in my mind that 'here's mine' referred to your child so I was confused when you said the bit about 'selling her'.

haha, I'm cracking up..

I didnt sell my baby just to keep the car!! haha.

Thanks, I will edit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got it on the second read but the first time through I thought - now there's a car guy. I mean, kids are easy but fine engineering on the other hand ;)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Boys are 6 years and 11 months. 90 percent of the time we take my wife's big SUV when we all go. I guess they could take turns in the Elise :) The Elise would just be for fun, not basic transportation. The wife's car and my Mini would still serve that role.
At that age, its a seriously tough call...primarily because legally you can't give either of them a ride for several years. :(
That said...I've reminded my wife several times that my Exige is my car, not "the family car".

·
Registered
121 Posts
What are the legal problems of the porsche? It is a proper 4 seater with 4 seat belts.

Logistically, I understand the problem. Legally, I do not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Think he means either child, not either car. They should be ok in the back of a 911. We've come a long way since I used to stand on the front seat of a Pinto on a highway at 70 mph playing with a rusty razor blade.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
What are the legal problems of the porsche? It is a proper 4 seater with 4 seat belts.

Logistically, I understand the problem. Legally, I do not.
I'm assuming that he meant the two kids in the Elise, not the 911. Porsche sells car seats for kids of all sizes and all modern Porsches have airbag deactivation systems that work with them.

At least one person on here did the homework with Lotus to have their dealer install an airbag deactivation switch in their Elise. So it is doable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts