The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Believe it or not, i was contemplating between an 07 exige or 04 esprit for the slot of my next car.

I did some research on the 02 to 04 esprit. I found numerous horror stories about how unreliable the esprit was as a daily driver. And just came to the agreement that it would just be too much of a hassle to keep as a DD when thinking about maintenace costs and the limited availability of parts.

Knowing that I could get the exige as a brand new car and having the benefit of a toyota power plant got me to choose the exige.

For those of you owning the exige what are your thoughts of the later generation esprits?

I was personally very captivated by its looks and its uniqueness

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Believe it or not, i was contemplating between an 07 exige or 04 esprit for the slot of my next car.

I did some research on the 02 to 04 esprit. I found numerous horror stories about how unreliable the esprit was as a daily driver. And just came to the agreement that it would just be too much of a hassle to keep as a DD when thinking about maintenace costs and the limited availability of parts.

Knowing that I could get the exige as a brand new car and having the benefit of a toyota power plant got me to choose the exige.

For those of you owning the exige what are your thoughts of the later generation esprits?

I was personally very captivated by its looks and its uniqueness
I did the exact same thing...but remember they are fairly different cars. I like the look of the late Esprits, but my better half didn't, so that sealed the deal for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i agree they are 2 completely different cars. Im a weirdo though. Different things will get me interested into certain cars. And the next thing i know im comparing apples to oranges :crazyeyes

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Yes i agree they are 2 completely different cars. Im a weirdo though. Different things will get me interested into certain cars. And the next thing i kow im comparing apples to oranges :crazyeyes
I know its juvenile, but one of the main things that attracted me to the Esprit was the twin turbo / blow off valve sounds...
Consequently, that's what I REALLY like about my Exige...spooling up the supercharger. :evil:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know its juvenile, but one of the main things that attracted me to the Esprit was the twin turbo / blow off valve sounds...
Consequently, that's what I REALLY like about my Exige...spooling up the supercharger. :evil:
Oh yes ahahah. I know what you are talking about! I cant stop pushing my exige ever since ive hit the 1k mark. I didnt even think the sound of the spool up would be as intensifying as it is:nanner:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I really like the looks of the Esprit. The Giugiaro design from the 1970s is just classic. I got to sit in one in the late 90s, and remember being impressed at how low the car was. I bought the exige, but recently EVO magazine (118) had an article on the Esprits, and I briefly toyed with the idea of getting an older S4S (300 hp 4 cyl) Esprit for a daily driver... (I said BRIEFLY! :) )

The only thing about getting one of those in white - is you'd probably have to explain to everyone that your car didn't have the submarine option like Mr. Bond's... :)

I didn't realize some of the earlier models had a hatch - thought most of them had the flat decklid like the elise.

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Having been an Esprit owner for the past 16 years I have to disagree with the statement that Esprit's are not suitabe as daily drivers.
Up untill 2003 my Esprit was my daily driver, a task which it did without any problem to speak of. From 03 on the car is still used regularly and the only time it became a problem was when I started playing with it in track and auto-cross events.
My car is showing 93,100+ miles at this time.
A well maintained and regularly driven Esprit should cause little problem for the owner. Unfortunately a lot of the Esprits out there have languished as garage queens which serves those cars not well and many were not properly maintained.
No I would not say that an Esprit is as low maintanance as an Exige, but these cars are so different in so many ways that comparing the two is not realistic.
In short, you are comparing a newer car with newer technology to a completely different car of older technology.

The problem now with any Esprit is going to be how well it has been taken care of and how knowledgable was the owner of it's care requirements.
The few problems I have had with my car could have been avoided had I known a bit more at the time.
As for parts, yes the Exige will be easier to access parts for but then it is a car in current production and one which was made in much larger numbers so parts will not be an issue for some time.
The Esprit was made in one form another for 27 years and some parts are very easy to find, others require a bit of time on the internet and a degree of patience to find.
As with any older car, a bit of effort on the part of the owner is required.
If I did not have what I have now and had to start fresh, I would pick the Exige over the Esprit, unless I found one that I knew was properly taken care of or had never been titled and was in effect also a new car.

Opinions WILL vary, As I see it, it's all a matter of perspective, what you are looking for, willing to do with regards to maintanance, and how old of an Esprit you are considering. From my experience the 4 cylinder cars especially the S4 series, seem to have less issues than the V8's.

Al B.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
no lotus is a good daily driver. the exige is cramped, offers little storage space, and poor rearward visibility. the good news is the toyota drive train is robust, and it is a hoot to drive on the track.

the esprit has been known to suffer more in reliability than other cars, but it is a good "gt". If you are going to get an esprit, get an s4, or an s4s, or an '02 or later v-8. know that parts are getting scarce, and due to the weakness in the dollar, bloody expensive. also there are only a handfull of people that can reliably rebuild the engine if it blows. also all esprits are out of warranty.if you track it, expect to pay to maintain the car.

i have spent a tenth per mile all in on the exige than i did on my esprit, but there isnt a day that goes by that i dont miss that car. i just got sick of waiting 3 weeks for a slave cylinder...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts