The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been keeping up with this forum for some time now, but I am just now got around to posting.

Anyways, I didnt see this discussed before and did a search with no results so...

What do you all think about the RX-7 that is supposed to be released as an 06 model car? I am not sure, but from what I remember, Mazda is saying it will be a very lightweight 2 seater with a beefed up renesis engine. 260-300+ hp in a 23-2600 lb car?? Cost estimated to be below 40K (It would have to be to sell). Personally, I am a big fan of the new RX-8 and don't really like the older gen RX-7's.

Anyways, I was wondering because I am getting my new car in a year and so far the Elise is at the top of my list. I dont think the RX-7 really threatens to bump the Elise out of first place in my book, even if it has the power and weight Mazda says it will. But do you think it will persuade others to snag the new rotary?

-Whit

·
Registered
61 Posts
i was at the dealer a few weeks ago trying to get a test drive on the RX-8. I told the dealer that my concerns about the power issue that is when he mentioned that the turbo RX-7 will be coming out in 2006.

This also came from a guy who had a deposit on the Elise but decided not to wait so he got a RX-8.

-jeremy

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Hmm... I thought the reason for not having forced induction on the Renesis engine was for reliability. Adding a SC to it will go against that, right? That was the lesson from the last RX7 turbos.

I love the rotary engine. I used to own one. In fact, I owned 3 rebuilt rotary enignes in that one car. But they ate the seals. How do you know? When the coolant leaks.

Check out this thread on the RX8 forum-

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?threadid=14267

Scary if I was to be considering a new rotary.

·
Registered
237 Posts
A friend of a friend works are mazda and knows the top mgmt people and what she has been hearing from them is that the rx8 will get a power boost of an additional 40HP for next year or late next year. She has herd that a turbo or s/c is planned to add extra bump in power.

She also says her top mgmt people are saying the rx7 will return with a turbo renesis for sure if the rx8 keep selling like it does now. If everything goes directed The rx7 will be a 2007 model unvealed at 2006 tokyo auto show. 300hp will be the key # for mazda along with new chassi similar to the rx8 but shorter and the styling they are saying will be very different from the rx8.

The info the friend has provided is reliable because this same person told me the rx8 is coming out 1 year ahead of time when no one could conferm it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
RacingDynamcs said:

She also says her top mgmt people are saying the rx7 will return with a turbo renesis for sure if the rx8 keep selling like it does now.
In my experience they're selling terribly. First they had to lower their horsepower figures because the cars were dynoing ridiculously low. Then because of that they were even buying people's cars back. Mazda thought they would fly off the lot and demand a premium, now it's not uncommon to see 10-20 of them at a big dealership.

-Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts