The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Possibly Edmunds.com's BEST article ever. They compiled a list of over 60 driving schools in 180 locations, most of which are located in North America, and their respective techniques and expertise that they teach.

They also list prices, basic programs, their websites and their contact info.

There are also locations in Australia | Canada | France | Germany | Mexico | Spain | U.K. !!!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=125472?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..2.*

Edmunds.com said:
So you bit the bullet and signed up for the new Vette. Now you want to uncork it at a local track day. Or maybe you saved your shekels for the Mustang V8 and it's time to get serious about those embarrassing 60-foot times. Maybe you just want to feel a stock car underfoot at 160 mph.

Whatever your motoring pleasure, this high-performance driving school buyer's guide has what you're looking for. We've found more than 60 high-performance driving schools in 180 locations — mostly in North America, some overseas including Australia, Germany and Mexico — to satisfy your adrenal glands.

From stock cars or open-wheelers to high-performance coupes, rally or sprint cars, we found places where pros will teach you to heel-toe downshift, keep a 700-horsepower motor on boil around a half-mile dirt track and drag race like John Force. Have you ever wanted to drive a Formula 1 car? AGS Formule1 in France is your place. Off-roading? You want the Land Rover Experience.

But like most drugs, adrenaline costs. Look around this list (alphabetical by state) and you'll find thrills starting at around $300, on up to $5,000 and $10,000 fixes. Generally if you can spend $500-$2,000, you'll be a happy speed junkie for a good, solid day, maybe two or three.

Stop waiting! Drop the pedal!

There are so many listings that I cannot even post it because it exceeds the maximum text per post limit, so click here to see the complete list!!

This deserves a sticky! Awesome! :clap:

·
Registered
205 Posts
That is a great find.:up:
I have been thinking about doing a driving school as well.
This will help me make a better decision. My wife and I were talking yesterday about doing this.

I don't know how to do a sticky thingy, so I just bookmarked the link in a webfavories folder...lo-tech! :coolnana:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Possibly Edmunds.com's BEST article ever. They compiled a list of over 60 driving schools in 180 locations, most of which are located in North America, and their respective techniques and expertise that they teach.

They also list prices, basic programs, their websites and their contact info.

There are also locations in Australia | Canada | France | Germany | Mexico | Spain | U.K. !!!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=125472?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..2.*

[/size]

There are so many listings that I cannot even post it because it exceeds the maximum text per post limit, so click here to see the complete list!!

This deserves a sticky! Awesome! :clap:
Great find, thanks for the post!

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a great find.:up:
I have been thinking about doing a driving school as well.
This will help me make a better decision. My wife and I were talking yesterday about doing this.

I don't know how to do a sticky thingy, so I just bookmarked the link in a webfavories folder...lo-tech! :coolnana:

The mods sticky the thread, making it remain "pinned" at the top of this forum for eternity! :D

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
That's a pretty good list, but they forgot at least one: Brainerd International Raceway Performance Driving School. The lead instructor, Garry Curtis, makes it more than worth it. He's one of those few people that have the trifecta: A great teacher, driver (two time ALMS winner in his class), and all-around great guy to talk to.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am going to the 1 day racing class at Bertil Roos (Poconos) on April 24th. Will write up a short review when I am done.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I am going to the 1 day racing class at Bertil Roos (Poconos) on April 24th. Will write up a short review when I am done.
the one day isnt bad...they just added dual element wings to their cars. if u get Steve, he's an excellent instructor. So is Vince.

good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the link. That's a pretty good list. I did a couple of Skip Barber schools several years ago, and they were excellent education.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Humble Pie at Bertil Roos

So I just came back from the 1 day school and I thought I would write up how the day went. First, we spent a couple hours in the morning talking about the driving line, braking, shifting, etc. All the stuff you probably heard before if you did HPDEs or read a book or two. Then we proceeded to the track and in groups of 4 or five, we drove on the track in their street cars (Malibus). The instructors went first to show you the line and then each student drove three laps with the instructor and other students in the car. Next up were the formula fords. The cars are a blast but if you haven't driven nonsynchronized transmissions, it takes a little while learning how to properly shift them without grinding gears. The proper technique is to brake, take the car out of gear without touching the clutch, then engage the clutch while doing a quick uprev. Quickly put it in gear and get back on the gas. I was still mashing a gear or two on my last run so that was kinda frustrating.

The cars are a blast and are very responsive. Never did have to turn the wheel more than a quarter of a turn. We did the Poconos North course. We spent four sessions of twenty minutes in the FF. There were two groups of 7 so there weren't many cars on the track at the same time. However, there were all different skill levels of drivers there and there were a couple of very slow people there. While your group wasn't running, you would go to a couple turns with your instructor and he would comment on the other drivers while he also told you how you did during your run.

I took it easy on my first session but I had an incident on my second session that scared me a bit. One of the criticisms of my first session was to keep on the gas until I hit the braking zone at the end of the long straightaway. Do not coast. So during the second session I was concentrating on doing exactly that. I was at the end of a train of 3 or so cars that got bunched up. I gave myself some room but came to the braking zone at the end of the long straight probably close to redline and I proceeded to slow down. Well, there must have been a slow person in front of the train and I couldn't slow down in time. I proceeded to almost lock the wheels and tried to avoid the person directly in front of me (why was I here? -eek-). I tried to turn but my front left wheel went over the other driver's rear right wheel. Both my left wheels went into the air and I slammed down hard. Luckily I avoided all other traffic and came to a stop. Nobody else got hurt but I thought I hurt something big time when I landed. Thought I compressed my spine or something but I think I just got the wind knocked out of me. I eventually got out of the car and into an ambulance. Luckily, five minutes later I was getting better and refused to go to the hospital. The incident gave me a new appreciation for proper safety gear and I was very happy that I was strapped down nicely with a 5 pt harness. Three days later today, my back is only slightly, slightly sore and there appear to be no other ill affects.

I was able to complete sessions three and four without further incidents, never once got black flagged (the whole day), never spun out or went farming with either two or four wheels, got my back end out 3 or so times but managed to recover before spinning, drove the proper line much of the time (according to the instructor), passed plenty of people and let several pass me, and had a good couple runs. Now, besides the accident what do I think of the school? Despite the accident, I had fun but I don't think I learned that much more than if I had a good instructor during an HPDE. The FFs are a blast and probably worth the price of admission alone.

Somebody should run a school that gives you real time instruction while driving or takes a video of your laps and then goes over it right away. That would be pretty instructive.

Anyway, I am glad to be in one piece. Ironic thing is my next HPDE is going to be on the same course. Since I only have a three point belt (just ordered the CGlocks), I don't think I will be going 95%.

LMM,
p.s. they should put brake lights on those FF. Either that, or you should always remember to look far in front of you. Yeah, that second point probably makes you a better driver. :shift:

·
Registered
613 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts