The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the Elise world:

So, I want to turn up the exhaust volume of my Elise SC just a bit over stock. I figure I may as well free up some ponies as well.

Is it worth doing a complete replacement to include a cat delete?
Who are the suggested MFGs of quality exhaust components?

Leo

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
753 Posts
There's a woman here in NW AR that has an aftermarket exhaust on her SC, which I think is an '11 or '12 year model. Her late husband put it on. She says it is too loud and she wants to trade it for a stock system. I don't have any more details than that. I could put you in touch.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I started with a stock system, then changed to the stage 2 muffler from Lotus, built by Janspeed. It is a nice smooth expensive sounding muffler but it does drone quite a bit. I later took off the cat and now it sounds like an exotic car. I LOVE it but it is very loud in the car. On my 3 hour drive to Watkins Glen this afternoon, I will be wearing my ear muffs with ear buds in to help take the fatigue off my ears. That being said, I wouldn't have it any other way, it sounds awesome. Mine is NOT supercharged so I didn't really get any performance gain. I got the ECU tuned to move the cam kick down but otherwise it runs the same.

I will be trying dynamat on the firewall and floorboards to help quiet the drone out.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
2bular and as JJ said, it takes a while but worth the wait. As far as pipe goes, its up to you........Mature or loud. There are several good ones out there.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Larini!
Great sound and no drone

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have had many exhausts on two different lotus, elise and s240.

Elise- Stock exhaust and stage 2 which drones badly/welds broke.

Exige s240- Stock exhaust internals lasted 7 months, cat fried. Went larini clubsport and it sounded great with pops/gurgles, lighter, droned at 70, lower rpm was week but made up difference at high rpms and lasted 6 months before internals were bee bees. Got a warranty replacement for and 8" larini above diffuser, less aggressive than clubsport, droned at 70, didnt have the low rpm issue and that lasted about the same and my cat got fried again. The larini exhaust would constantly move apart from the cat tube due to the clamp so I had to weld it/screw it so it didnt come apart.

So, I went with a full header back system from 2bular. 4-1 header, decat, gt3 7" repackable exhaust with 2 different tips. The v-clamps are fantastic and the sound for some is probably way to aggressive but I love it. I plan on a dyno session in Nov. but can tell the difference right away with low, mid and high rpm speed. We'll see about how well it lasts...

So, if you have a supercharged car, get a repackable exhaust. They will burn out. If you track your car, decat. I learned the hard expensive way...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very Good info. Thanks so much, and keep it coming.

Leo

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I loved my Larini sports exhaust (dual tip euro exit). Nice tone, no drone.

Now I run a Larini decat and custom straight pipe (no muffler). Extremely loud, but its more fun. Gurgled and popped before... now its turned into gunshots and 4th of july fireworks with a nice flame out the pipe.

Decat will throw a CEL, so get ready to get the big daddies garage CEL 02 fix. The code will go away on its own in 2000 miles once you install that fix on the decat pipe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts