The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is finally here in New York. Took for a fun test drive today little scary with current condition of the car, but hit 80mph few times through the industrial complex. Now that I now everything is work ok, Engine performances was amazing, Transmission shifted well (even with bent shifter) actually think the bend took out some of the slop.

Disassembly will start this week. I’ll try to post as many photos as I can for those that are interested. Also I’m sure I’ll refer to this site for how to help and up grade ideas while car is apart. Differently thinking of hinged rear clam and all aluminum radiator at top of list.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
The frame looks completely bent unless I'm not seeing something. I'm surprised you drove it to 80mph in its current form as I can see how dangerous it can be. Good luck with the rebuild though

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
So you drove it without a door? I see you’re in NY. I’m in NJ and it’s still pretty damn cold here. Good luck with the build.

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surprisingly wheels seem inline. I did a few slow passes and tried little faster and hard on gas to test if it would act strangely. But could feel good responses, no dog tracking or loose rear car steady straight even with hard shifts. I did belt in just to be safe.

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you drove it without a door? I see you’re in NY. I’m in NJ and it’s still pretty damn cold here. Good luck with the build.
Haha yes door and top off. I work outside everyday 2 miles off Lake Ontario. If it’s 30 or above I’m hot. Hardest part was seeing through windshield.

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally a day I can work on the car. Seats out, right door off. Had to cut rocker off to remover left seat. Working on rear clam next.

Attachments

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you read my other posts I heard a clunking sound. Thought it was the frame separating during shifts. Well found source of the sound. Mount pulled off the transmission. Luckily I’ve welded worse. Easy fix once I get engine out.

Attachments

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're making good progress. I've been installing oil pressure and temp guages and it's taken me all winter. Doesn't help I get to work on it an hour at a time.
Had about 8 hours free today. Except for the 4 customers that came to pick up engines and body guy was there talking way to long about doing the repairs. Will give him the rear clam first. He is a professional boat repair shop, knows his fiberglass.

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Front clam is almost ready to come off but will do some sanding first I think. Anyone have ideas on removing star shield ?

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Body guy found 3 layers of paint on rear clam. Either Lotus painted it twice plus one repair or previous owners were very unlucky.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Jesus, this is quite the project. Subbed for progress!

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Jesus, this is quite the project. Subbed for progress!
Hopefully by the end of this weekend motor will be out.

Wheels going out for powder coating tomorrow. Sorry guys I can’t stand black wheels on any car.

New set of R888R’s coming in along with many other nice new parts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 115 Posts