The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2005 StormTi 200000+ miles
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was time to change the oil again (110,000 miles!) so I took a few pictures and put together this little how-to article.

Change the Oil on a Lotus Elise & Exige | HowTune.com

I tried to make it as simple and encompassing as possible. Thoughts? Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, FWIW Advanced Auto has a good sale this week on Mobil 1 and a Filter for $32 bucks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Time to stock up on oil! Lol, spend $70 on my recent oil change for turbo diesel oil and a filter. Smh

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Nice job. Makes the whole process look so simple (as it is) that many who've never done it will.

I like what you said about only failing to remove the old filter gasket once. AMHIK. And that time I'd put the access panel (belly pan) back on before starting the engine to check for leaks.

Nothing under there will ever rust after all that mess!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's awesome. Can you do more of those. Nice job.

Thank you.
Thanks! I plan on making many more. I've taken pictures of everything I've worked on... Now that HowTune is up and running its a lot faster for me to publish new articles.

Time to stock up on oil! Lol, spend $70 on my recent oil change for turbo diesel oil and a filter. Smh
Yea, I picked up 10 quarts and convinced my office car buds to do the same.

Nice job. Makes the whole process look so simple (as it is) that many who've never done it will.

I like what you said about only failing to remove the old filter gasket once. AMHIK. And that time I'd put the access panel (belly pan) back on before starting the engine to check for leaks.

Nothing under there will ever rust after all that mess!
Double wammy, that sucks. I did it once on a CRX, not a pleasant way to celebrate competion of your diy project for the weekend. For some reason every single Fram filter I used on that car left the rubber gasket stuck to the car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It was time to change the oil again (110,000 miles!) so I took a few pictures and put together this little how-to article.

Change the Oil on a Lotus Elise & Exige | HowTune.com

I tried to make it as simple and encompassing as possible. Thoughts? Did I miss anything?

Very nice - curious what the difference between the Mobil 1 - 209 and 103 filters is, is it just size? Does it make a difference? Have you always used the 209 filter?.....one last question...you have over 100k miles on your Elise...are you burning oil?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice - curious what the difference between the Mobil 1 - 209 and 103 filters is, is it just size? Does it make a difference? Have you always used the 209 filter?.....one last question...you have over 100k miles on your Elise...are you burning oil?
Size has implications of capacity and filter media. I don't know the details of the difference, however the 103 is considered Mobil's stock equivalent.

·
Registered
2011 Persian Blue Elise R(S)
819 Posts
Very nice job!

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just noticed your 2nd question. Not noticeably, I've never seen it smoke (not that a bottom center exhaust would make that easy to notice), and what I drain out seems to be comparable to what goes in. I'll have to measure more closely next time though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Great write up!!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
hey this is a great guide.

Excited and hopeful for more guides to come out for Lotus

·
Registered
676 Posts
you forgot to include "carefully remove the undertray or you will get a eyeful of little pebbles". Might want to add a tip to check some stuff since you're down there - check any u-bends for chaffing and any loose bolts (like the toelinks)...otherwise great post!

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
950 Posts
The car slanted forward may minimize the oil drain.

Slanted backward may be the best. With filter and drain plug removed, overnight, it may drain maximum from the pan, and the long oil lines.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Excellent writeup.

Regarding the two M8 bolts. I use a 13 mm socket. So I guess M8 and 13 mm are equivalent?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts