The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a guy on Face Book - posted a video, he bought a dry sump Maser V8 from a Quatroporte for $2500. Next he dropped the engine and transmission from his Boxster off at Kennedy Engineering. Kennedy made an adapter.

He then installed the assembly in an old ratty street/track Boxster.

The sound and acceleration was glorious.

And I started thinking.....hmmm :) I feel like the character of the motor would fit a hot rod Esprit.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
I cannot see putting an engine like that I the car
In the 21st century too many four cam 200k mile motors to waste time with a motor that will cost thousands every time it hiccups
Hell you get over 400 from the Toyota motor full emission

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at some pics of the Maserati motor - its super wide, Almost looks as though the V is wider than 90 deg? Tons for sale on Ebay.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Gas

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
844 Posts
At our English car show one year, a guy showed up with a replica Maserati Birdcage with one of those V8 motors. Beautifully done. However, we explained that it was an ENGLISH car show and he said that the windshield came from England. As we are a charity event, we said, sure, you can show it in some obscure class, I forget, sort of "other." I later saw that he sold the car online somewhere.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yeah check out this Maser recreation on BAT. IT has some V8 Maserati motor, its not one of these.

I see that the Boxster is run on a Haltech ECU.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Flat Plane Crank
400 HP
Dry sump
7500 RPM

Its essentially an F430 motor which I think revs to 9K. change a few parts and your their :ROFLMAO:

Actually - did some reading - not really similar to f430 engine other than the block.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
844 Posts
The one that showed up at our show was red, I think, and had a motor like the one pictured above. I probably took a pic of it, but after maybe 10 years, who knows where it is. And who knew that building bird cage masers was a thing.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going to but he is on Instagram and I cant get pics off IG? not a user.

If you go on FB and find the Outlaw Boxster group you can see pics and a link to his IG.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Maserati birdcage...the real thing, not a replica. Former Briggs Cunningham car, raced at Lemans in 1961, on display at Revs Institute in Naples, FL.
Tire Wheel Car Photograph Vehicle

Looks a bit delicate for blasting around Lemans. Also this is eye opening:

"No two Birdcages were precisely alike. Variations depended on the whim of the welder and preference of the customer."

😯 So much for all the careful engineering calculations that no doubt informed the distribution of stress in the chassis.

• Wow
Reactions: Erik L
1 - 13 of 13 Posts