The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has been mentioned on another thread, but I wanted ask a separate question.

Since purchasing my brand new 2012 Evora S three months ago, I've worked out a few bugs it had and have been enjoying it immensely. I've driven it hard and easy to see the difference in gas mileage but no matter how easy I drive it around the city I can't get more than 14-15 mpg, so at least I thought. Recently I started calculating the gas mileage myself at fill-up and find it's actually getting 17 to 19mpg, now that is more like it! The computer never showed over 23mpg on the highway no matter how easy I drove it, but the last trip I manually calculated 27mpg. So obviously the computer is way off and not accurate at all!

The second problem is the temperature gauge, it reads 8 to 10 degrees hotter than it actually is outside, that is ridiculously off!

So my question is, has anybody had this problem and have you complained to the dealer and asked them to fix it? Since my car is new and I'm under warranty, I want them to fix it. I could live with a little off but these readings are way off and I don't believe a new car should have digital gauges this inaccurate. I'm wondering if they can be adjusted in the computer or would they need a new chip that controls these gauges?

I really would like to have accurate read outs so I know my true average mpg as well as the temperature outside. Thanks!

:up:

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
These are known issues. For example, my car's computer usually calculates an mpg that is 7+ miles off from the manually calculated mpg. Temperature readings in many cars, not just the Evora, are frequently off from the true ambient temperature due to hot pavement, hot car engines, etc.

I don't think anyone here has asked their dealer to fix them. I don't know what could be done about the mpg issue. Moving the temperature sensor might help with the second. Most of us just live with it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
EFE EVS,

I seem to get almost the same readings as you. On my drive across country I never saw anything better than 23mpg according to the computer, I am sure I was doing better but was too lazy to check the maths.

Around town, same readings as you. Maybe I'll check it. I knew the readings were off a little, my 2010 NA Evora seemed to read a little more accurately.

Temp readings I just put down to as KCZ said, position of sensor and being low to the ground reading road or track temp.

I just live with it! but I might check a bit more often to get some real numbers

·
Asst. Helmet Tester
1,229 Posts
My mileage is always pretty spot on. I know some folks have real issues with the mileage being off, but my guess is that most people measure from an arbitrary start and stop point (between fill ups) but don't reset the mileage calculation at the same time. And unless you're actually measuring the gas that's left in the tank or filling it to the absolute brim every time, I can't imagine our numbers are very scientific.

Temp sensor seems to match up with the weather report as long as I'm moving. If I'm stuck in traffic, the temp will start to climb. And of course, being parked will send it way up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Except mine was calculated over 6 or 7 consecutive tanks, and I reset my trip odo after every fill up. The consecutive tanks would even out the inaccuracy of the fill up.

At least on my car, the MPG is almost 10% too pessimistic on the readout.

My mileage is always pretty spot on. I know some folks have real issues with the mileage being off, but my guess is that most people measure from an arbitrary start and stop point (between fill ups) but don't reset the mileage calculation at the same time. And unless you're actually measuring the gas that's left in the tank or filling it to the absolute brim every time, I can't imagine our numbers are very scientific.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

Temp sensor seems to match up with the weather report as long as I'm moving. If I'm stuck in traffic, the temp will start to climb. And of course, being parked will send it way up.
Same here, my MPG as been around 17-20 city and 22-32 hwy. The high way number is filling up resetting every thing and then getting on the high way, on cruise control at around 70-80 MPH for several hundred miles at once. So the computer in the car agrees with my calculations.
Ron

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
243 Posts
I think I may have cracked the code. I do regular Miles / Fuel added and it comes out pretty consistently 15% low. "When only 5 litres (1.3 US gall) remains, an amber tell tale in the instrument panel will light." Has anyone ever put in more than 13 gallons of fuel if you use the fuel light and miles remaining as a guide?

"The total usable fuel capacity is 60 liters (16 US gall) but
for refueling purposes, from the time the low fuel tell tale is
triggered, approximately 50 litres (13 US gall) can be accommodated"

Is this all a plot to keep us from getting into the 3 gallon reserve capacity?

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
No matter what, the range my car displays when I fill the tank has never exceeded 340 miles, which would mean around 21 mpg (NA version). But it doesn't go below 340 until I have driven around 50-70 miles, which means more like 24-25 mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Its been discussed on end in multiple threads. I think the conclusion was that the software was written by a 15 year old in his spare time. When the tank is full the system will always show a range of 555 Km, keep that value for about a third of the real range and then start dropping at 2 Km per driven one Km.

·
Asst. Helmet Tester
1,229 Posts
Except mine was calculated over 6 or 7 consecutive tanks, and I reset my trip odo after every fill up. The consecutive tanks would even out the inaccuracy of the fill up.

At least on my car, the MPG is almost 10% too pessimistic on the readout.
That may be exactly your problem. I don't remember the mileage limit, but I think I remember reading in the manual that the computer only holds the data for so long. You are manually calculating mileage based on 6 tanks, but the computer is only running the most recent 400 miles (or whatever that limit is).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear; I'm manually calculating each tank over at least 6 consecutive tanks, resetting after each tank. I've been tried factoring the odo discrepancy against the GPS (both the speedo and odo is off, although at different rates), and it still doesn't account for the difference. If I have any city driving, there's no way that tank will get 400 miles. I've only done a few tanks where I could get 400 miles by going to almost empty and all freeway driving.

Either there something configuration wise is causing it (metric speedo vs imperial speedo, S vs non S, 18/19 vs 19/20, ECU version), or I'm missing something. My speedo's was replaced at one point for a separate issue, but the computer calculated the same.

That may be exactly your problem. I don't remember the mileage limit, but I think I remember reading in the manual that the computer only holds the data for so long. You are manually calculating mileage based on 6 tanks, but the computer is only running the most recent 400 miles (or whatever that limit is).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts