The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HP laptop (Pavillion 6200 series) that will not boot up. I have gone online to get answers thru HP...done all they ask and still I get stuck where after going thru the startup repair it says I have to "call for support". I have called and they say that I first need to backup the data. Bought an external HD to backup the data, and I get a "Backup Process Error". I'm dying here! I have to have all the info. Any ideas before I spend $300 to have a professional do it??:shrug: Begging for your pocket protector, horn rimmed glasses expertise.:(

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
oh crap, it's laptop. if you are handy, take out the HD, use it on the other PC and try to read it. If successful, then take any data you can from there. Then put it back to laptop and reformat.

Takes time, but heck, better than spending $300.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I swap the HD from one computer to another?:shrug: Also, do so without damaging something?:confused:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The have HD to usb adapters at stores like frys

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Download a Knoppix CD/DVD at knoppix.org
Boot into that environment, and then you should be able to copy your important data to the USB drive.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Might sound ridiculous, but try to gently tighten all of the screws in the bottom of the laptop. Don't over torque or strip any of them. Are you receiving any certain errors, or what exactly is happening after powering on the laptop?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Download a Knoppix CD/DVD at knoppix.org
Boot into that environment, and then you should be able to copy your important data to the USB drive.
Yep, second that, although get a ubuntu live CD, I think it mounts all the available drives, and then use the USB to back up the data.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

If you run vista, then its going to be a pain in the bottom-hole.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Yep, second that, although get a ubuntu live CD, I think it mounts all the available drives, and then use the USB to back up the data.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

If you run vista, then its going to be a pain in the bottom-hole.
Ubuntu will work just fine, but it takes ages to load up, Knoppix loads up in a minute. Besides, it's not that difficult to right click a drive and choose mount from the drop down list.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Ubuntu will work just fine, but it takes ages to load up, Knoppix loads up in a minute. Besides, it's not that difficult to right click a drive and choose mount from the drop down list.
Yep, but From experience people feel more comfortable with Ubuntu's UI. I wouldnt do anything except backtrack (extremely useful as you probably know :) )

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Might sound ridiculous, but try to gently tighten all of the screws in the bottom of the laptop. Don't over torque or strip any of them. Are you receiving any certain errors, or what exactly is happening after powering on the laptop?
I'm checking now for memory problems...nothing yet. After restarting it automatically goes to a "startup repair" mode. When it's finished, it says it can't be repaired automatically.

So I can buy an "external case", take the HD out, copy what I need to another laptop, reformat the laptop (yes...it runs Vista...) and after I get it back up again just move it all back?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
yes.. but make sure you get the correct case/adapter

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How do I determine which is the right case?:shrug:

·
Registered
999 Posts
How do I determine which is the right case?:shrug:
If you don't want to open up the computer first, go to the manufacturer's website, under support, get the manual for the laptop, and check the specs. You should be able to find the information you need there.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just have to look at how large the plug in is?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts