The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the time penalty, if any, during events held by SCNAX? According to SCCA the time penalty is "two seconds, but some regions may use one second". :confused:

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Depends. If Art is running the show, we don't use either number.

If you hit a cone, we use the square root of Pi and multiply it by the pax factor / distance of cone from box delta. You might think this would slow down the event, but he has a pretty good spreadsheet that handles this.

Just kidding.

I think everyone uses 2 seconds. The region that uses 1 second is rare or now non-existent. The reason is that it's possible to hit certain cones and go over 1 second faster on the course.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense. If one were to knock over the cone at the inside apex of a corner the effect is like shortening the length of the course. Thanks for the info Randy...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Depends. If Art is running the show, we don't use either number.

If you hit a cone, we use the square root of Pi and multiply it by the pax factor / distance of cone from box delta. You might think this would slow down the event, but he has a pretty good spreadsheet that handles this.

Just kidding.

I think everyone uses 2 seconds. The region that uses 1 second is rare or now non-existent. The reason is that it's possible to hit certain cones and go over 1 second faster on the course.
You forgot the last step and that was to divided it by your car number! We did this so we'd have a chance of beating Randy since he is known for hitting cones and has a low car number.

When you divide the penalty by my car number 823 you get a much smaller penalty .1sec. :p

Seriously though the driver handicap sure made for some great competition. It evened people out and made for a very close finish. Maybe we should have a class that does a PAX and a drivers handicap. Or maybe change our Cal Club team rules to include the handicap. That way you could always change your team members and let everyone get involved not just the fastest drivers. It would be like autocross bowling. Why do you think bowling is so popular, with the handicap anyone can win.

Art

1 - 5 of 5 Posts