The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had bodykit made with fiberglass on my RX-7 and the sideskirt was cracked by hitting a cone at 70-80mph at Buttonwillow. So now I am worried. Will these cones at autox damage elise's sexy body?

solo2elise

·
Registered
302 Posts
I never thought of that one. I know very cold cones can cause more damage than warm cones. I'd imagine fiberglass is much less tolerant of abuse than urethane. Someone here probably has a good answer.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
It is a real possibility depending on how you hit it and the speed and hot sturdy the cones are. I have seen other cars like Elans damaged by direct cone hits at speed.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
They will damage the clam if you hit them at speed. Even if they don't damage the clam, the paint may spider. I haven't hit anything in the Exige (other than flying rubber at the track) and I have several spots of spidered paint on my nose.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My friends S1 has hit many cones (BTW I havn't driven it... yet) and although it hasn't broken the clamshell they have left significant marks that are in the paint and do not come out. the front does not look very good. I intend to not hit any if I can help it :) I have found that a really good wax does seem to protect the paintwork quite well from cones.

·
Registered
13 Posts
At one of the Lotus "Scare yourself sensible" days, on of the instructors hit a cone with his S2 Elise -> Hole in the clamshell :-( .

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
curty said:
At one of the Lotus "Scare yourself sensible" days, on of the instructors hit a cone with his S2 Elise -> Hole in the clamshell :-( .
Hi, do you know what speed they were going?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Hi, do you know what speed they were going?
Hm... that´s a wild guess. Not too fast, I would say something about 20-25 mph at most. The cone flew about 40 yards when hit, so either my perception is false or it was hit at the worst possible angle.

Cheers, Curty

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone knows how much does front clamshell cost? Looks like I need to plan to replace it annually, hope not. :(

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Possibly some aftermarket vendor makes clamshell in urethane?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Give it a few months after the Elises hit the showrooms (or rather, the owners' garages). Somebody will have re-pops available for (relatively) cheap.

-Winston

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have hit a cone, pulled it up between the tire and wing (fender) and torn the fiberglass up as it exited. Yes you can do some interesting damage just autocrossing, but as someone already said, don't hit the cones!
In general most dmamage is to the clear coat and you can get it out with scratch or swirl mark remover.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Cone damage is my main concern. Ive been thinking about this since I ordered the car. Im NOT going to be a happy camper if my car ends up with spidering paint and cracks from autocross action.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The way I figure it, when the stress cracks get too bad, time to repaint! But the car will be autocrossed and tracked! Cones beware.

·
Registered
485 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Cone damage is my main concern. Ive been thinking about this since I ordered the car. Im NOT going to be a happy camper if my car ends up with spidering paint and cracks from autocross action.

I dont hit cones (famous last words):)

atleast not that many

·
Registered
302 Posts
The Elise body is injection molded plastic, not fiberglass. My dealer told me the reason is that it results in a better finish than the glass. Also, flex additive isn't used, also a quality of finish issue, so the paint chips pretty easily. We better keep a bit of touchup paint handy. I'm guessing the plastic is less likely to be damaged by cones and other objects.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Tripledigits said:
The Elise body is injection molded plastic, not fiberglass. My dealer told me the reason is that it results in a better finish than the glass. Also, flex additive isn't used, also a quality of finish issue, so the paint chips pretty easily. We better keep a bit of touchup paint handy. I'm guessing the plastic is less likely to be damaged by cones and other objects.

Jeff
The body is made of GRP (glass reinforced plastic), thus "fiberglass". The method used to mold it is dfferent from either the hand layup of fiber cloth/mat, like the S1, or the chopped fiber mix sprayed into the mold like Corvette uses (or used, not sure if they still are), but still classed as fiberglass, a fairly generic term. It is not a molded plastic like the Saturn.

·
Registered
485 Posts
ChrisB said:
It is not a molded plastic like the Saturn.

it would be nice IF it was made like a Saturn. It would make it easier when i am out there hitting cones....uh, I mean when they jump out at me. (damn kamikaze cones);)

chip/spider paint free would be nice

1 - 20 of 24 Posts